Display Sub-task completion on Classic software Kanban cards as on Classic business cards

Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2021

In our classic business projects (where the kanban board settings cannot be edited, or even viewed) there is a component on the board cards which displays the count of completed / open subtasks (In the image below, there are 2 subtasks, and one has been completed). 
 Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 1.29.53 PM.png

I'd like this same information to be viewable in a classic software project, but none of the available fields I've added to the kanban card are giving me this component.
Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 1.42.23 PM.png
I can get a list of the linked subtasks with the "Sub-tasks" field (see image above), but none of the Checklist-related fields are giving me anything remotely like a % of completion, or a count of incomplete vs total sub-tasks...Either would be good. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2021

Hi @Anne Saunders 

There is nothing built-in to do this, and you could build it yourself using automation rules.

• Define what you mean by "percent complete" or progress
  • Add a text custom field, such as PercentComplete
  • Create an automation rule, triggered an adding a sub-task, to update the parent's PercentComplete
  • Create a second automation rule, triggered on sub-tasks changing status, to update the parent's PercentComplete
  • Add the custom field to your card for the board

Here is some information and examples of automation rules if you want to try this:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/Jira-Automation-all-the-resources-you-need-in-one-page/ba-p/1388465

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library#/label/all/1453

Best regards,

Bill

Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 8, 2021

Thanks, Bill. I'll try out the automations you suggested! 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Mateus Haubert December 12, 2022

@Anne Saunders, did you find a solution for this? Did the automation work? I'm trying to solve the same thing. On business projects you can also expand the subtasks within the card, which is a very nice feature.

I keep getting this curved balls of things you can only have on business or software projects.

Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2022

I ended up not implementing this at the time for a few reasons. We run out of automations before we run out of months most months, so it would have to be done on a project by project basis; I couldn't find a way to make the field compact enough for my taste; and leadership wanted my effort elsewhere. 

Based on my automations "expertise" it absolutely should work the way Bill has outlined, I have just given up.

Like Mateus Haubert likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events