Disable images from appearing in email notifications from JIRA?

Deleted user April 9, 2021

Hi everyone, 

I work in an environment where there are instances where company data is sensitive. We often use on-prem JIRA as a project management tool and our users use this tool to attach images for their projects for other users on that project to view. However, in the email notifications from JIRA, those images are also displayed in the body of the email notification, which we're looking to disable. I'm not sure if this is a setting specific to the mail client that we use or if it's something we can disable within JIRA, so I'm putting the ask out there to see if anyone has any suggestions. 

Thanks in advance! :) 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2021

Hi @[deleted]

there is no setting that I would be aware of to switch just images/pictures off in the mails that are sent out by Jira Server.

One option that comes to my mind would be to enforce "text" mails to users - due to their nature they do not enclose/attach images/pictures of whatever kind.

You can learn more about it in "configuring email notifications / Email format: HTML or text"

However, users could switch back to HTML format rendering the default setting useless.
One, hacky, way that I could think of would be to "dictate" this setting through having set the mail format for every user to text, through database. This could be risky and integration is clunky. As a last resort solution for a similar case it worked in the past in one installation I encountered but from my point of view it would be better to advise people adjust their mail settings to text mails - in case there must no go out pictures from the notifications of the Jira server.

Like Dave suggested in his last question - probably the best option would be to adjust the notification scheme (the most standardized way at least):
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/creating-a-notification-scheme-938847330.html

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2021

Interesting requirement! Can you elaborate on why it would be necessary to repress an image but not the entire notification? Or is that also desirable? 

Deleted user June 30, 2021

Delayed reply but here we go! 

This is based on the nature of the data that company handles. We often use JIRA for managing projects, and some of those projects contain sensitive data and images. The email notifications are necessary to have but hiding the attachments or image content in those notifications would be a great feature to have in place.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events