Disable Rapid Board operation when JIRA project is not included in the greenhopper enabled projects

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 2, 2012

Hi,

We have JIRA 5.0 + GH 6.0
Projects which are NOT enabled for Greenhopper still show the 'Rank to bottom', 'Rank to top' and 'Agile Board' actions.

How can these be disabled ?

Francis

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2012

This is not possible. The 'projects enabled for GreenHopper' applies only to the Classic GreenHopper boards, the new boards (previously known as the Rapid Board) can operate on any projects.

Thanks,
Shaun

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 3, 2012

That's an improvement request in the making :-)
This JIRA instance is being used both for software development and for completely different purposes. The fact that the operation 'Rapid board' is there, requires us telling the users of the non-software development configuration to ignore it, which is not really 'enterprise-class'.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-5800

Francis

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2012

We have no plans to change this behaviour as most users want GreenHopper to be deeply integrated with JIRA. My best suggestion would be to separate your instances in this case.

Thanks,
Shaun

Dmitry Miroshnichenko
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2015

Shaun, why I have to see those buttons if Agile is disabled for project? There is no logic!

2 votes
Christian Groth September 13, 2012

I don't agree with Shaun.I think there should be a fix for the issue GHS-5800.

1.) Only users with access to Greenhopper-activaed-projects can can open the Agile-context-menu. Why doesn't Jira disable the Agile-tab in a similar way as it is done with the Temop-tab, which people who aren't tempo-users can't see.

2.) What's the use for displaying the Agile-Link in the issue-detail-screen when there is no board connected with that issue. We have lots of users in our helpdesk-application who don't understand why this link isn't disabled.

francis
Marketplace Partner
September 13, 2012

+1 for CMK

We should be able to provide a stripped-down project setup for the occasional JIRA user who just want to raise a ticket, be able to comment, attach files/screenshots and look at the status of the issue.

All the other options should be ... optional

Christian Groth September 16, 2012

Hi Francis,

thanks for your hint, but I think this doesn't meet my point. We work already with a permission scheme which gives to accasional users only the permissions they actually need. Our problem is, that there is no way to deactivate the Agile-Links for these occasional users although the project the occasional users have permission for isn't activated for Greenhopper.

neil1967 October 22, 2012

Those buttons being there is not due to the desire for things to be "deeply integrated," it's just lack of thoroughness in the integration of GreenHopper and Jira. Of course if I don't include a project as a GreenHopper project I would not want any buttons related to it in my issue interface. To describe this as a desired feature seems disingenuous.

d October 22, 2012

I got linked to this question via https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/98366/configure-number-of-action-buttons

I upvoted this answer. Why? This is not a "permissions" issue so much as a UI issue. Different users are focused on different aspects of JIRA's functionality. JIRA's UI needs to support that. As it is, the prominent top of the UI is for us WASTED ON BUTTONS OUR USERS WILL NEVER EVER EVER CLICK ON.

So . . . here I am . . . in order to "ship" this new JIRA to my users I will need to resort to dirty tricks via embedded JavaScript. As other users have suggested, this needs to be promoted to a feature request.

Thank you for listening. -danny

1 vote

Since I'm in the situation where I inherited jira with GreenHopper installed, I've made the executive decision to simply turn off those buttons and see who complains. I doubt anyone will.

To turn off the functionality of Rank to Top and Rank to Bottom, go to Plugins > User-Installed Plugins > GreenHopper and disable "Ranking Issue Operation (greenhopper-rank-top-operation)" and "Ranking Issue Operation (greenhopper-rank-bottom-operation)"

francis
Marketplace Partner
October 22, 2012

That's an approach but it does disable the ranking in all the projects.

Yes, agreed, it does. For me, I'm more worried about what uninstalling Greenhopper entirely would do to the legacy projects that are listed under it more than I am about preserving functionality that I'm pretty sure is currently unused. So, yes, I am disabling ranking for all projects by doing what I did.

Deleted user October 10, 2018

neil1967's solution worked for me. In JIRA 7, to turn off the functionality of Rank to Top and Rank to Bottom, go to Plugins > Application Components > JIRA Agile and disable "Ranking Issue Operation (greenhopper-rank-top-operation)" and "Ranking Issue Operation (greenhopper-rank-bottom-operation)"

0 votes
David Toussaint _Communardo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2012

I have to agree with Shaun. Anyway if you want to prevent people from ranking issues (in general), there is a permission for that. Look for "Schedule Issues" in your permission scheme. You also could create different permission scheems for projects using GreenHopper and for those projects not using Greenhopper and than granting this permission to people or not in each scheme.

francis
Marketplace Partner
September 9, 2012

if the schedule permission is diabled, you can't modify fix version, nor adapt due date, which are fields in use in the project.

David Toussaint _Communardo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2012

that's correct! I should've pointed that out in my original posting. Thanks for adding it!

Suggest an answer