Different views for the same board? Edited

I have a project that, when I open the board, I cannot access a backlog. In digging around through documentations I assumed it was an agility board that did not have have a backlog enabled. It turns out, however, that it is a Kanban board that some reason it wasn't giving me the option to navigate to the backlog. For my projects, when I click on the name of a project to open a board, the view I have is the first image below, with no way to view the backlog.

I accidentally stumbled upon the backlog for this same project by opening a different project (for which the view was much the same view as this project, but for some reason which DID have an icon that allows me to view the backlog). From that 2nd project, I clicked on the administrator's picture, which allowed me to view all of their projects. From there, I clicked on the name of the same project as my original project.

Now, I can see a "Kanban board" view (picture 2), which DOES allow me to see the backlog. These are two different views for the exact same project. The second view is much preferred, but I cannot get to it easily, only through this circuitous route of going through the administrator's profile. I'm not sure why I can't get to this "Kanban board" view when I click on the name of the project from my dashboard. For some reason it defaults to showing me this less useful view (picture 1). Can I change my default board view somehow so that I can see the Kanban board format for projects that are set up as Kanban boards (Picture 2)?

boardview_e.pngkanbanview_e.png

2 answers

0 votes
Mohammed Amine Community Champion Apr 17, 2018

Hi Amanda,

If my understanding is correct, you want to activate the backlog in your kanban board. here is how : link.

JSM-BoardSettings-ConfigureKanbanBacklog

So, backlogs are already activated. The problem is that I can't see them with the default view I get when I open a project. My explanation of the problem may not have been entirely clear. The way all my projects look changed recently and I'm still trying to figure everything out.

What I want to know is how I can choose whether I see the "board" view of my project board in the first image, or the "kanban board" view of the project as in the second image. By default, when I open a project board, it shows me this "board" view, which is a lot less useful to me than the "kanban board" view.

0 votes
Jack Brickey Community Champion Apr 18, 2018

Cloud or Server?

In cloud w/ new UI if the project is a business project you can't have a Kanban associated directly w/ the project. Which basically means it doesn't show by defalut in the project sidebar view. That is unless you add it as a web link, which is what I do. I suspect this is what you are dealing w/ but not 100% sure. If this doesn't make sense JLMK.

Oh, ok, thanks.

We are using cloud, and it is a business project, as far as I can tell. I'm still not entirely clear on the difference between business & software projects yet, but it does look like it's a business project.

Can you explain what you mean by "add it as a web link"? I'm still fairly new to JIRA so there is quite a bit about the features & functionality I'm still trying to figure out.

Thanks for your help!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Apr 22, 2018 in Jira Software

How-to setup a secured Jira Software 7.9.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.4 in less than 30 minutes

...PermissionsStartOnly=true User=www-data Group=www-data ExecStart=/opt/jira/bin/startup.sh ExecStop=/opt/jira/bin/shutdown.sh TimeoutStartSec=120 TimeoutStopSec=600 PrivateTmp=true [Install] WantedBy...

2,114 views 14 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you