Different reports show different issue counts?

Bud Herz April 19, 2021

Hello Atlassian Community!

My conundrum - 

Different reports on same Sprint show different point totals. Some issues are in the Sprint, but not showing up in any report or list from a report.

Examples -

Backlog view of the current Sprint has  68 points
Burndown chart shows only total of 50 points
Burnup chart showed 42 points
Sprint Report shows sections as Completed 11/Not completed 31/Completed outside of this Sprint 26 
--- for a total of 68 points

I believe I understand all of the numbers except for the Burndown chart holding 50 vs the Burnup holding 42. What am I missing?

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2021

Hi @Bud Herz 

Can you provide screen images of the Burndown and Burnup reports where it shows the different point totals?

Bud Herz April 19, 2021

@Trudy Claspill I sure can!

Here is our count if you view the Sprint from the Backlog view
Backlog view1.jpg

Now the Burndown Chart started at 50 not 68 as above.

Burndown Chart1.jpg

Our Burnup Chart started at 42 and is missing issue 4671, valued at 8 points (and likely others I am working to identify). 

Burnup Chart1.jpg

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2021

Has the scope of work in the sprint changed? Have you added or removed any issues or changed the story point values for any issues?

Do you have story point values on sub-tasks?

Bud Herz April 19, 2021

Trying to answer inline for you --

Has the scope of work in the sprint changed?
Not since the Sprint started, no.

Have you added or removed any issues or changed the story point values for any issues?
No and even if they did, these numbers are what the reports say the Sprint started with.

Do you have story point values on sub-tasks?
No points on any Sub Task

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2021

Hm, this is a puzzler.

Have any stories that were in the sprint been moved to another project? (I know, that is another ask about scope change. Just trying to cover all bases.)

As a point of clarification, the chicklets at the top of the sprint in the backlog screen are based on current values, not on the starting values for the sprint. Though if there have not been any scope or story point changes, that total should also match the charts.

What are you settings for Estimation for the board? Is it set to Story Points? Has that been changed at any point during the sprint?

If there have not been any scope changes (no issues added nor removed, no changes to story point values, no story points on sub-tasks), I can't think of why the numbers in the Burndown and Burnup charts would not agree about the starting total for the sprint.

Bud Herz April 20, 2021

Well I have learned something interesting about our board. There are a set of columns work goes through then there is a column that they consider 'Done' 

Except it's not truly the Done column. That happens further down the line. Researching the issues it's more obvious now that some reports are pulling from the entire board while some report only up to the first 'Done'.

I knw that we're not supposed to have two Done columns...or even treat a rando column as Done. So this is a big suspicion why our metrics are wrong. We're going to work out splitting the board and see where that gets us. 

Once we do that I'll come back here with some results to clarify things. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events