Different fields for different users/groups/roles in JIRA/Agile onDemand?

JeffreyC August 26, 2014

We have some fields we'd only like exposed to internal users. As we're onDemand we can't use the field security plugin - any ideas how we can present all fields to internal users and a subset to external users?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2014

You can't. Jira doesn't have field-level security.

You've already found the only half-way decent answer - a plugin that doesn't function on OnDemand. I've seen tricks played with Apache and internal code as well as that plugin, but you have no access to those for OnDemand either.

JeffreyC August 26, 2014

Thanks Nic. If fields are a no - what about screens? Can I make seperate screens for different types of users (with those screens having less fields than the others)? If so how would I devert external users to them and internal users to the others?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2014

No. Screens are used by projects and issue types, not users. It's basically the same as fields, just one level up.

You can move "edit" functions into the workflow and control that with conditions like "user is in group", but the main Create, Edit and View screens for issues are a function of project and issue type. Nothing to do with users.

JeffreyC August 27, 2014

I appreciate the followup Nic. Let me explain what I'm trying to do in more detail and maybe someone can think of a solution: we have a custom field that has values in a dropdown box - we don't mind customers seeing the entries that refer to them, but they can't see the entries that relate to other customers who may be their competitors. We need this custom field on each issue so that we can set it and when we do a report it aligns with our time/billing system (that field acts as the key). We've implemented issue securty with levels and that works great - and if this field worked like the issue security field that too would solve our problem (but it doesn't).

I can't believe this problem is unique to us...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 27, 2014

Nope, there's no way around this. If a field is set to X on an issue, then anyone who can see the issue can see that it's set to X. (Unless you remove the field from all the screens, then no-one can see it's set to X)

Suggest an answer