Difference between releasing from list of version and and from within version

Jonathan Gerholm May 29, 2020

Hi!

Somewhat new to release management in Jira and have come upon something we think is a bit strange. There seems to be a difference between which issues are considered "unresolved" when release a version from the list of unrelease versions compared to when clicking release from within that version.

To clarify. Pop-up that is shown when clicking on the hamburger menu on the right in the list of releases. Note that it says there is 16 unresolved issues (which in our mind is correct as there are 16 issues with this fix version that is not in the Done column (right most column in our Kanban))

list.png

Opening the version and clicking on the "Release" button in the top-right cornor shows this pop-up. Here it says that the no. of unresolved issues are 51 (all issues that are tagged with this version). Even more note worthy is this is not the same as displayed on the version, you see in the background on the picture below that it says 35 issues done and 16 issues to do.

In version.png

NB: it seems it's not only a matter of display either. When we released a version 2 weeks we did it this way and all issues with the version was moved to the version we selected (not only the "issues to do".

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2020

Hello Jonathan,

I looked at both of those options myself in JIRA Cloud just now, and for me the number of Unresolved Issues shows the same in both dialogs. The discrepancy is not occurring for me.

One thing you might check is what the Resolution field says for these issues. If the Resolution field is not getting set to Resolved, perhaps that is why the one dialog shows more issues are unresolved.

Jonathan Gerholm June 1, 2020

Hi Trudy,

That was it! Our workflow didn't update Resolution on the issue to Done when put in the Done column. I added a post function to the workflow to set Resolution to done and that solved the issue.

Thanks! :)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events