Dialog says 'Can't create' and yet it lets me create - just Atlassian being sloppy?

leewarren July 1, 2021

image_2021-07-01_120115.png

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2021

This comes up depending on the filter set up for your board.

If the filter constrains the board to just one project, then on the backlog screen you can use the Create Issue option at the bottom of the backlog list to start issue creation and if there are not any additional required fields enter just the Summary field and an issue will be created in the one project to which your board is constrained.

If your board includes multiple projects, then when you click on such a "quick create" option you will instead immediately get the "full dialog" that you see above, with that message explaining why you are getting the full dialog. And that happens because you have to choose the project in which the issue will be created, because your board filter includes multiple projects.

The message is an indicator as to why the full dialog is displayed vs. being able to create the issue directly in the backlog list by entering just a summary. It is not an indicator that you are unable to create the issue at all.

leewarren July 1, 2021

Hi Trudy! You and I are becoming frequent correspondents :)

The one problem with your excellent explanation is that I have one project only. I do have multiple Versions and Epics.

Another thing (ok, griping) - the Help isn't accurate enough. Given there was logic to trigger this message, the user could be given the logic of the specific trigger.  Another gripe, it points you to help that is not helpful.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2021

Can you show us the filter for your project?

If it does not include "project=..." then it is not set to constrain the board to a single project.

leewarren July 1, 2021

It does not. But that begs the question why the software doesn't jump to the obvious conclusion that with no "project=" and only one project, there is (wait for it!) one project. :)

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2021

I'm not going to hypothesize on the design decisions made by the product developers. :)

With regard to this specific scenario, it relates to the Create Issue process needing to be told explicitly which project the issue should be created in so that the user does not have to be prompted for that information. The Quick Create process, it seems, is using the filter to determine that. When the filter does not explicitly define a single project, the Quick Create cannot determine in which project to create the issue. Therefore, the dialog is opened so that the user can explicitly select in which project to create the issue.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events