Descending rank in Greenhopper

Matt September 3, 2012

Hi all,

We are finding using ranking in Greenhopper a little frustrating to use. We love the re-ordering, but the behavior with new tasks can be frustrating.

New tasks are created with a rank that causes the board to auto focus to the bottom. Nearly every time we create a task we want it at the top, with the 'important' stuff. When it jumps to the bottom of the board, we lose focus and have to end up dragging the task up. Not a big issue, but an annoyance and concentration breaker. We'd much rather have the task be set to the highest rank and let us push it down as necessary.

Are there any suggestions to help our issues out? We can think of two things:

• Allow descending rank in the boards. (as justinc points out, you can do this, but it disables drag and drop rank assignments in the agile board).
  • Set the new tasks to the top of the board.

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matt January 30, 2013

Still no response to this yet. As far as I can tell, this still isn't possible.

0 votes
George Polchin October 22, 2015

This is still an issue:

I want to be able to drag and drop issues to rank them in my Boards, and I want the Board to be organized by descending rank.  

Why would I want the lowest rank at the top?! (which is the only way you can do it now...sort by ascending rank)  

Thanks.

0 votes
Ryan Peterson January 24, 2013

After the issue is created, in the summary screen on the right in the agile board you can click on the Cog and then select "Send To Top".

0 votes
Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2012

You should be able to change the filter to order by rank DESC instead of ASC. Go to your board, click configure, navigate to the filter tab, and click edit on the query. Then, you should be able to update the query to order in descending instead of ascending.

Matt September 3, 2012

Ah thanks for mentioning this, I should have mentioned this in the post.

While this works for sorting, it disables the ability to re-organize tasks based on rank. I'm not sure why this is a breaker, it seems like the code should be able to work in reverse. I'll update my post to reflect this.

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2012

Huh, I had no idea. That does seem really odd.

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2012
Matt September 4, 2012

Good to know, hopefully all the noise will break through!

Suggest an answer