Deleted project still shows active sprint

dustin999 January 12, 2015

So I was playing around with a test project, and added a sprint in JIRA Agile.  When I was done, I deleted the project, but the sprint is still showing up everywhere.  How do I get rid of the sprint?  The sprint was active when I deleted the project, so perhaps that's part of the problem.

5 answers

3 votes

Thanks Jobin.  How do I assign the unassigned sprint to a new board?  I thought boards were related by projects, yet the project is not available anymore?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2015

Not necessarily. Boards can be created from a filter too. What happens if you create a board from another project? You are not seeing the sprint in that case?

dustin999 January 14, 2015

So I finally figured out a way to do this. The only place I was seeing the sprint was in the add or edit issue screen/popup. When I would click the "sprint" box, it would show the old sprint from the old project/rapid board I created. I went ahead and took an existing rapid board with an existing ticket, and assigned it to this sprint. This made the sprint active for that rapid board. From there, I was able to close the sprint, which is good enough for me because I just don't want that sprint showing up in my dropdowns anymore.

Like # people like this
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2015

Sounds like a good workaround ;)

Canberk Ünsal September 13, 2017

Thank you Dustin DeVries, your solution also worked for me too.

Alexandru Sasu April 26, 2018

Great workaround. It solved the problem. Thanks!

Jakub Kratina October 30, 2018

Great, thanks for this workaround.

Warren Sergent June 20, 2019

What a terrible solution, though from what I can tell, it's the only solution.

Incredibly painful when you need to delete ~50 sprints that belonged to deleted projects,

2 votes
Balint Nagy March 17, 2016

I just had a similar issue: I had my current sprint as active (say, Sprint 5), plus an old one (also showing as active, say, Sprint 1).

I couldn't close Sprint 1, because it did not show on the Scrum Board.

It turned out that there were no issues in Sprint 1 at all, that's why it was invisible.

To resolve,

• I created a new issue within Sprint 1, it made Sprint 1 visible.
  • I closed the issue.
  • I used the Scrum Board to close Sprint 1.
1 vote
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2015

Sprints are not directly linked to the project, that's why.

Go to a board where the sprint appears, make sure you have admin rights in all the projects in that board and then delete the Sprint as mentioned here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Deleting+a+Sprint

0 votes
Alex Pilafian January 1, 2020

This happened to me too, and all I had to do was go to the backlog of another scrum project, create a new issue and assign it to that sprint, and then I could see the sprint in the backlog and was able to delete both the sprint and the issue I had created. Good workaround.

0 votes

What if I don't have a board that contains that sprint?  The project and the board were both deleted.

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2015

You can delete the sprint only from a board. If it is not appearing in any of the boards, create a test board and delete it after removing the sprint.

BG June 9, 2019

I created a test board but can't find it still

Suggest an answer