Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Default issue type change not being changed (From "Bug" default issue type to "Story" issue type)

I tried to change my default issue type (Bug to Story) by going to Project Settings -> Issue Types -> Actions -> Edit Issue Types -> Default Issue Type -> Story  and clicked "Save" 

Note: I am using a "Default Issue Type Scheme"

However, when I try to create an issue, the first thing I see is the default issue type is still "bug" which was my original default issue type.  I want it to be "Story" not "Bug". Bug should be selected when I clicked on the drop down. 

Anyone know how to fix this issue? 

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk Community Leader May 14, 2021

Hi Danny,

Move Story to the top of the list within the Issue Type Scheme. 

Hi @John Funk 

Thanks for the reply back. Unfortunately, I tried your advice and still not working. Here is a screenshots I went through. From the 1 screenshot to Creating an issue screenshot. And still defaulted as a bug.

Start.pngissue type.jpgEnd.png

John Funk Community Leader May 15, 2021

Looks like Trudy's experience is the same for me. It is done by user - defaulting to the last issue type created by that user. 

You might try creating a test issue with story. And then click create for a new issue to see if it defaults to Story. 

In my experience the Default Issue Type is considered only the very first time a user creates an issue in the relevant project. Thereafter, from my experience, JIRA "remembers" the last issue type selected and automatically selects that for you again.

I have not tested this extensively, but it has been my anecdotal experience.

Just now, I tried it in a project. The available issue types are Epic, Story, and Sub-task. I set the Default Issue Type in the associated scheme to Story. I displayed the project's board (board filter is set to all issues for just that project). I clicked Create. The Create screen opened with Story selected. In the Create screen I changed that to Epic and completed the creation of an Epic issue. I clicked Create again and the Create Issue dialog popped open with Epic selected.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

JSM June ask me anything (AMA)

Hello Community members! We’re wrapping up the end of JSM June with an Ask Me Anything (AMA) with the Jira Service Management product team. This is your chance to ask all your ITSM questions to o...

150 views 9 10
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you