Default Checklist Option for Jira

Hizkeel Khan April 6, 2023

Hello Everyone, 

Is there any default checklist option available in Jira. If Yes, How can I use it? If No, what are the other options I have?

Also, I want to show some default values in the checklist when the ticket is created. How can I do that?

3 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Oleksandr Siryi_Railsware_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 6, 2023

Hi, @Hizkeel Khan

Unfortunately Jira does not have a default checklist option.

You can install a checklist plugin from the Atlassian Marketplace. Check out Smart Checklist, there's a free and a PRO version.

Note that you'll need admin permissions to install add-ons.

Hope this was helpful,

Oleksandr

Thank you for the response. I wonder Why Jira is not adding such basic things and we have to keep installing third-party tools. I will check this out. Thanks again. 

Also, Is there any option to show the default checklist every time new issue is created? for e.g. I want to show Definition of Done items in every ticket and these will remain same so It would be better If I created one default checklist and show it every time 
@Oleksandr Siryi_Railsware_ 

Oleksandr Siryi_Railsware_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 6, 2023

@Hizkeel Khan You can set up a checklist template to automatically have something like the Definition of Done checklist in your issues.

The simplest way to do it would be to create your checklist -> Click the button with three dots -> select to save it as a template.

You can learn more about this functionality in Smart Checklist's knowledge base. Here's a link.

And here's an example of a DoD template.

Project Templates.png

Like # people like this
Weronika Dominiczak March 21, 2024

@Oleksandr Siryi_Railsware_ @Yves Riel [Okapya] Is there any possibility of creating a default checklist template for dynamic custom fields? :) 

2 votes
Answer accepted
Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
April 6, 2023

@Hizkeel Khan 

Actually, this is not true that Jira doesn't support Checklists. There's a standard custom field type called Checkboxes which displays a checklist when you edit an issue. The reason why there are 3rd party tools is because its features are somewhat limited and the display might not be exactly what people are looking for.

So, in a company managed project, you simply add a Checkboxes custom field and set its options. It will then display a checklist when you edit the data in every issue (new or old).

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/custom-fields-types-in-company-managed-projects/

So, it might be able to do the job for you. If not, then indeed there are many checklist apps available on the marketplace. If that's what you want, then I suggest that you have a look at comparison table such as this one:

https://herocoders.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/CD/pages/3588653750/Comparison+-+Marketplace

You'll see that some apps are doing a lot more than others.

Good luck!

Thank you for your detailed message. I'll look into it. 

Like Yves Riel [Okapya] likes this
0 votes
Gracjan Wesołowski _HeroCoders_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2023

Hi @Hizkeel Khan 

If you are interested in third-party apps, I can recommend you our Issue Checklist for Jira Free app, which allows you to create checklists inside an issue.

You are able also to create Checklist Templates and set them as default for specific Issue types, with that configured, each newly created issue will have automatically created checklists like Definition of Done, Acceptance Criteria, etc.

templates.png

Cheers!

Gracjan

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders