Data Migration

Lathrop [PSU] May 7, 2013
We have a production system that we need to migrate all the JIRA & GreenHopper data out of and into a new installation. We are doing this to establish standard fields across all projects. This is not a straight copy since we will need to migrate data from existing fields to new standard fields. We know how to move all the JIRA data successfully but we don't know how to migrate the GreenHopper data. Does anyone have any experience with this?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2013

Why don't you try to:

1/ do backup-restore (because that's sure, nothing will be lost). This step might be important since you will be able to do some data transformation (if XML, for instance)

2/ then modify in the new install to your desired stuff (you will maybe script this part, create, move CFs data, remove unused CFs, etc). This part is tricky, but it's doable.

my 2 cents.

Edited: I added more explanations, hope the idea is ok. At least you will deal with knowns, not unknowns :)

Lathrop [PSU] May 8, 2013

That is pretty close to what we have done. We are always backing up our data and we have build the new projects in a second parallel instance. All we need to do now is migrate the data via our script. When we did this we didn't get any of the GreenHopper data, (no boards existed) just the JIRA data. We are not sure why, so I am looking here for clues.

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2013

"we have build the new projects in a second parallel instance" => I think this is where the problem lies. You should move data + schema all toghether, then modify your install to look like the one you desire.

The alternative is to touch the GH data as well (and this is actually your question). I'm afraid it will be a very dangerous task ... unless guided by support. If you want to continue on this path, I advice you to ask for support at Atl

0 votes
Michael Ruflin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 8, 2013

What data are you trying to move? Classic board data or the new boards? Rank data?

Lathrop [PSU] May 8, 2013

We are trying to move data for the new boards. I didn't understand when we moved the data why no boards existed.

0 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2013

Hi there,

Accroding to the following documentation, the Greenhopper data should transfer with the JIRA data: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Backing+Up+and+Restoring+Data

1. The GreenHopper add-on should be installed before attempting the restore.
  2. When restoring data that includes GreenHopper settings, you should plan to restart JIRA after the restore. GreenHopper caches some values that are not cleared during a restore, and restarting JIRA clears these caches and loads the most recent settings and data. If you forget to restart, you may see problems like license errors and other unexpected behaviour.

So hopefully that should work for you.

All the best,
John

Lathrop [PSU] May 7, 2013

Mr. Inder,

I looked at that documentation before posting here. We are not doing a restore, this is not a copy or database snapshot. I will be using different fields for data in the new standard build that did not exist or have different field ids than the first build. This is why I can't use that restore documentation. This move, as far as I know, needs to be a scripted migration. We have developed a field map that tells the script what field data from the old system goes into what new field in the standards build. This works very well when we are moving JIRA data. Unfortuately, we did not do this migration before adding GreenHopper(GH). Now I need to also migrate GH boards so we do not lose our project planning data. It is only this last part that I don't know how to do. I'm hoping to find out where that GH board and report data is stored so that I can just copy those saved settings. The JIRA ticket info on the GH cards in not a problem. That will change as the JIRA fields change.

Suggest an answer