Data Mapping between Jira and SpiraTeam (both cloud)

Manisha Byrne May 11, 2021

We would like to integrate Jira with SpiraTeam to manage our defects. Before we can use Jira I need to configure the data mapping between SpiraTeam and JIRA to allow the project, users, releases, incident types, statuses, priorities and other custom property values used in the two applications, to be related to each other.

I am however, having trouble locating the external key for each field from JIRA to enter into Spira for the synchronisation to take place. 

Can anyone shed any light on where I can get this information?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 13, 2021

Hi Manisha,

I understand that you are looking to integrate Jira Cloud with SpiraTeam.  I must admit that I'm not familiar with SpiraTeam, but I hope I can help you find some answers here.

As for locating an external key for each field in Jira, this does not always exist for every field.  Certainly every custom field in Jira will have a unique key to identify it.  These can be referenced in the REST API by the field id such as customfield_12345 in addition to the custom field name.  However Jira also has system fields. The system fields do not use a number to id them, instead the key, id, and name tend to just be referenced by their name (Description, Summary, Resolution). 

I would suggest digging deeper into the Jira Cloud REST API reference document here.  Using the REST API can help to better understand the way data is structured within Jira.  A few REST endpoints that might be of interest here:

In addition to the REST API resource, I also came across a free app in our Marketplace called SpiraTest.  This appears to also offer some level of integration between Jira Cloud and SpiraTest/SpiraTeam/SpiraPlan according to its description. I'm not sure if this is helpful to your use case here, but I thought I'd mention it in case it might meet your bigger picture needs.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any followup concerns here.

Andy

Manisha Byrne May 26, 2021

Hi Andy,

Thank you very much for your help. It's really appreciated :)

Manisha

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events