Dashboard gadgets contain Edit or Configure - what's the difference?

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2021

I added a rich text gadget to a dashboard, then inserted a link to a Confluence page I created.  It provided me a link I could then click within the gadget which in turn populated the gadget with the contents of the Confluence page.  This was an end-round around the restriction that only I - as the owner of the rich text gadget - could edit the page contents.

If I click the ellipse, I see Maximize, Minimize, Colors, Delete, Edit and Rename as options.  Others on my team and within our organization could see the link and click the link and see the contents from Confluence.  Everything was working according to plan.

Something changed this week; we don't know what changed, but the evidence of the change is two-fold: First, the link to my Confluence page no longer works for others who were previously able to see my page contents.  Second, the others in my organization no longer see Maximize, Minimize, Colors, Delete, Edit and Rename as options when they click the ellipse for their own gadgets; they now see Maximize, Minimize, Colors, Delete, Configure and Rename as options.  I still see Edit, not Configure.

We don't know if the two symptoms are related; all we know at this moment is everyone used to be able to see the contents of my Confluence page... but now they don't.  All that happens when they click the Confluence link in my rich text gadget is a brief hesitation - as if Jira is attempting to open the Confluence page - then nothing... the link is restored in the gadget.

Does anyone know what might have happened and why this elegant solution no longer works?  Also... what is the difference between Edit and Configure?

1 answer

0 votes
Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2021

In case anyone else is interested, I've discovered that Jira is rolling out UI changes on a limited basis.  This explains the differences in the UI we have observed.

It also appears the UI team for Jira may have broken something pertaining to the Confluence links within dashboard gadgets.  Hopefully they will get this fixed soon.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events