Dashboard Gadget - Actual VS estimate time

Anna Veneti May 17, 2017

I would like to be able to see in my dashboard which cards are overbooking on time (for  a project) in order to control the time budget.

I have searched everything , i found only one gadget (Estimate Accuracy Gadget) that is no longer available for the latest version of Jira.

Am i the only person with this problem? how do you do your day -to -day monitoring of a project , to make sure that if they are delays are early identified and communicated to the customer? at the moment i need to go to the board of the project.

please help :)

Thanks

A.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2017

There is a field called workratio in JIRA which shows you exactly the rate of original estimate vs time spent. It is a percentage.

This JQL statement shows you all issues where time spent is higher than the original estimate:

workratio > 100

If you combine that with the project you want to select issues from and any other relevant criteria, you have a clear selection of issues to add to a dashboard gadget.

This is only part of the story of course. This works at issue level only. So it won't tell you which issues have been solved way faster than estimated. There are a lot of cool add-ons available for reporting, follow-up on progress, forecasting and so on. 

Anna Veneti May 17, 2017

Thank you very very much!!!

I think that is what we wanted :)

thanks

anna

Like Samantha Hoseini likes this
Zhang Sheng November 21, 2019

really great answer! thanks you!

谢谢!

Sarah Noor November 25, 2019

hey, can anyone let me know if this field is still available and how can i see this in new jira view?

0 votes
Veronika Dvorska December 12, 2019

Hi @Walter Buggenhout

maybe a stupid question, but what 100 means? Is it like 1,6 hours ? And can you recommend any suitable gadget for a such jql?

Thanks for answer

Veronika

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2019

Hi @Veronika Dvorska , 100 is 100%. In simple words: time spent is more than the original estimate on the issue.

This is standard jira functionality. Although in JQL you query for it as 'workratio', you can add the field in the issue navigator as 'Work Ratio' (spelled with 2 words):

Screenshot 2019-12-12 at 12.37.31.pngOn dashboards, you can simply display the field in a standard Filter Results gadget:

Screenshot 2019-12-12 at 12.41.18.png

Like Veronika Dvorska likes this
Veronika Dvorska December 12, 2019

Great! Many thanks! 

Sarah Noor March 16, 2020

how can we group by or filter this for individuals? any thoughts ?

Vitalii Hladiienko April 14, 2020

@Sarah Noor You can save a filter with the below JQL and then add a Pie Chart gadget to your Jira dashboard. The gadget will show % of underestimated issues per user.

project = Development AND assignee in membersOf(group_name) AND resolution is not EMPTY AND originalEstimate != 0 AND workratio > 100
  • assignee in membersOf(group_name) will filter out members of a specific group
  • resolution is not EMPTY will filter out only resolved issues
  • originalEstimate != 0 will filter out issues that were not estimated

You can use assignee = username if you want to see issues for someone specific.

Like Navendu Kumar likes this
Sarah Noor April 15, 2020

do you know if work ratio calculates based on all the subtasks of a task/story as well ?

Kelley Cooper July 7, 2020

@Sarah NoorI believe the work ration calculation works at the issue level where you have enabled the Time Tracking fields and are therefore capturing Original Estimate, Time Spent, etc.

For example, if you use Time Tracking at the standard issue type level (which is what @Walter Buggenhout appears to be doing above as he is showing work ratio on a Story) you can can show work ration at the Story level; if you have it enabled at the Sub-task level then you can show it there.

I think you are asking if you can "roll up" the work ratio from each of the Sub-tasks within a Story and display an overall work ratio for the Story (much like the rolled up Time Tracking metric shown on the right side of the standard issue screen when Original Estimates are logged for Sub-tasks and then actual work is logged, too). 

I've tried to figure out how to make this work, but without any luck. 

0 votes
Lillian Shibata-Salley November 22, 2018

Hi - I'm trying to find that field and can't find it anywhere. Trying to get a % to display based on estimation and time worked.

Thanks

Suggest an answer