Daily Scrum User impersation

Frederic Tardif March 22, 2012

I try to do daily scrum using the taskboard.

As a scrum master, I struggle when trying to handle the task board on behalf of the assignees. If I need to apply a transition for a developper or log work on behalf of someone, all the actions are either choked by the work flow (transitions) or applied on my user instead of the assignee (log work). So far, the tool defies the purpose of daily scrum... Is this a Jira limitation? Anyone can suggest workarounds not implying login/logout....

here is an old thread discussing this same usecase:

http://www.greenpeppersoftware.com/site/posts/list/201.page#4095

thanks

Frederic

1 answer

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2012

Not a complete answer, but an opinion.

Task transistions are something which happens throughtout the day rather than during daily scrum. It could also be that each developer does whatever changes before he/she leaves for the day. And logging of work or task transistion is generally not a scrum master job and neither expected during daily scrum. Both could be done before hand, previous day evening, and the Task Board and Sprint Burn Down could be projected (TV/Monitor/Beamer) for reference during the Daily Scrum.

Frederic Tardif March 22, 2012

fair, but I like the value of the discussion in between team members; by example before deciding to move a task into the Done bucket. Maybe someone would raise a flag that could adjust the remaining work. When we think of the scrum as "what did you do yesterday" and "what will you do today", it sounds right to me to apply these changes on the task board with all the team members.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2012

You are right, in that sense, moving tasks from In Progress to Done column does not really matter who does it. It is for the team. The actual person who completed it is immaterial, once the task is getting closed. And when the task is closed, anyway the remaining estimate is zero and spent time do not add any values for the burn down.

So, for theother tasks which are still in 'In Progress', you could ask the team members to do it before they leave for the day and if there are items being closed during the standup, let it be a common account or scrum masters account (I wouldn't prefer that, since then it becomes a typical 'scrum masters problem' to keep cards uptodate) that is used during the daily standup.

Suggest an answer