Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Custom "multi-select" field for the 1000+ values list

Hello, community!

Please share your experience on the topic below.

We need to set up a custom multi-select field that will contain the list of the organization's customers (1000+).

The standard multi-select field (where's selecting multiple items is only possible with Shift-click and Ctrl-click) won't work at all as the average selection will be 5 to 10 values.

Are there any solutions for this use case?

I really appreciate any help you can provide!

1 answer

Hello @Maksim_Feshchanka 

Can you organize those 1000+ customers into groups? 

I was thinking to suggest a "select list (cascading)" custom field, but I don't believe those allow multiple selections at a given level, as per this open backlog issue:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-7257

If you can group the customers such that something like a cascading select list would work if it also allowed you to select multiple values, then you might be interested in this old post from 2012, suggesting creating two separate multiple selection lists, and have the options for selection in the second field dependent on the selections made in the first field.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Cascading-Multi-select-list/qaq-p/425533

This posts talks about grouping the entries into smaller segments using common prefixes, and then using a Labels type of field.
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/JIRA-Custom-Field-large-Select-List/qaq-p/369492

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Thank you for the suggestions.

Here's some additional info:

We already have a "free form" text field for this purpose - and it's a mess.

Any kind of "free input" won't handle this, so the "managed multi-select list" is a key (I hope). 

While checking the links that you've attached, I've discovered a couple of potentially useful plugins (FYI):

I continue to work on a solution, but it sims as a step forward anyway)

Please share your thoughts and I'll keep you posted!

Hi @Maksim_Feshchanka 

I'm with the team at Elements, the vendor behind Elements Connect. Where are your organization's customers currently stored? Do you have a tool or database outside of Jira where you have this list?

Hello @Laura Campbell _Elements_ 

The original list (customers) will go from Salesforce (it's also constantly updating).

@Maksim_FeshchankaSalesforce is not yet available as a datasource for Elements Connect on cloud, but you can submit your needs through this survey our product manager is using to prioritize which datasources to develop next.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

JSM June Challenge #2: Share how your business teams became ITSM rockstars

For JSM June Challenge #2, share how your non-technical teams like HR, legal, marketing, finance, and beyond started using Jira Service Management! Tell us: Did they ask to start using it or...

172 views 6 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you