Custom fields & acceptance criteria

corinne.saebom December 10, 2019

Hi!

I really need help, tried to get a grip of Jira myself and have been looking through all documents and guides but it seems like I can't get a grip around the custom fields..

Me and my team would like to have multiple fields in the issues for user story, details and acceptance criteria

Today we are typing this manually in the description fields.... I'm sure there is a function for this i Jira right?

Also to be able to track & tick-off the actual acceptance criteria in the issues in order to make the DOD more transparent.. is this possible?

Please help me with this, we need to sort our Jira-side out and clean it up and make it more clear

Thank you in advance,

Corinne

corinne.sabom@2wglobal.com

4 answers

3 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2019

Hi @corinne.saebom

You can create new custom fields to house Acceptance Criteria and similar - I'd suggest not splitting data too much as users still have to read it.

You've not mentioned a host type here, so I'm going to write general instructions for adding a custom field as an example:

1. Go to Jira Admin Settings > Issues > Custom Fields
  2. Press "Add custom field" on this page
  3. Pick a relevant field type - for Acceptance Criteria, you probably want "Text Field (multi-line)". Now press Next.
  4. Give the field a name and press Create
  5. The next screen will offer to let you add the field to screens - choose relevant ones and press Update at the bottom of the page
  6. If you want to ensure the field is in the right position on your screen, go to Jira Admin Settings > Issues > Screens, locate the screens you added the field to and move the field to the right position.
  7. Finally, if you're using a multi-line field and want rich-text editing, go to Jira Admin Settings > Issues > Field Configurations and in each relevant configuration locate the new field. Click the hyperlink next to the field called "Renderers" and change it to "Wiki Style Render"

^ Basics of custom field creation. If you want a checklist view you'll need an app - such as Checklist for Jira or view more here.

Ste

Chandraprakash G February 10, 2021

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ Thanks a lot, step by step example was perfect to configure and make it work in one go!

1 vote
Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 10, 2019

You can add a custom field of type free text or a list of predefined checkboxes (always the same) as explained by Steve and Pete. 

However, if you need a flexible list of checkboxes then only third-party plugins can do this. 

I can propose Issue Checklist Free developed by my team with a set of handy features like default checklist per project and issue type, blocking transition if acceptance criteria are not completed, etc.
There is also a paid version Issue Checklist Pro if you need to control permissions or if you need more tight integration with Jira Service Desk.

Cheers,
Jack

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2019

Your use case should be implemented by adding a new custom field with "checkable" items. This type of custom field is not available in core Jira, but there are several apps that provide these.

Try the apps found by this query: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?query=checklist

0 votes
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2019

The main detail of the user story should be added to the Description field.  You could create a custom field named "Acceptance Criteria" which you could then add to the screens for your user stories.  This could either be a free text box, or a fixed list of checkboxes (if it's always going to be the same).  I would  imagine text would be better however.

As for tracking each of the acceptance criteria, you could create sub-tasks under the Story to achieve this.

Suggest an answer