Custom Resolutions not appearing in Reports or Stories

Jo Newman-Bosak June 2, 2022

We have created a number of resolutions other than DONE i.e. Won't Do, Duplicate, Cancelled, etc. We can choose those resolutions but they do not appear in any reports or on the issue/story itself......it only shows as DONE. We need to be able to see the resolution we have tied to the particular issue/story to better calculate throughput. Please advise.'

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2022

Hi Jo - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What type of project are you using?

And can you share some screenshots? 

Resolutions.JPG

Issue Detail.JPG

In the first screen shot, the last 2 stories were marked with a Status of DONE but a Resolution of DUPLICATE. As you can see, in the Issue Navigator, the Resolution is not correct and when you open the Story, the Resolution is not correct there either. I've done a query on our Resolution Codes and it does not recognize any of the Custom ones. It only recognizes those that are DONE or NOT DONE. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2022

How are you setting the Resolution? For instance to DUPLICATE? Is this with a transition screen? 

I am suspicious that the value is getting set as intended and then maybe being overridden by a post function or some other automation. 

Take a look one of the issues that should say DUPLICATE and look at the history for the issue to see if there is any clue there. 

Yes - it is a pop up screen after the status of DONE is selected as a Status. I do think it is being overridden but I have no idea how to correct it.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2022

Take a look first at one of the issues to see the history. See for sure if it is being overridden and who it says did it. 

Jo Newman-Bosak June 3, 2022

Resolution History.JPG

Here is the history. I changed the status to DONE and then chose the Resolution of DUPLICATE which was systematically updated to DONE. I need the Resolution to stay as whatever is chosen by the user. Thoughts?

Like John Funk likes this

(It looks like I changed the Resolution from DUPLICATE to DONE but I didn't.)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2022

Okay, so probably one of two things - but I suspect it is the first one. 

1. There is a Post Function on the transition to Done in your workflow that is setting the Resolution to Done. 

2. There is an automation rule running that would update the Resolution. 

Check the workflow first and see if you find anything. 

Workflow.JPG

This is the workflow for all of our Scrum Teams. Not seeing anything having to do with Resolution info.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2022

What type of project is this? 

Jo Newman-Bosak June 6, 2022

I'm not sure I understand your question. We use Jira for our Agile projects.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2022

The project type is under the project name. 

screenshot.png

It will say something like Service Project or Software Project or Business Project. 

And then at the very bottom of the same column, it might say it is a Company-managed project or Team-managed project. 

Jo Newman-Bosak June 6, 2022

It is a Software Project and a Company-managed project

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2022

Okay, then go to Settings > Issues > Workflows

Then search for the workflow used by this project. 

Click on Edit to edit the workflow

Click on the transition (line) that goes to Done. That will cause a popup on the right side.

Click on Post Functions

Check to see if there is a Post Function setting the resolution and delete that. 

Be sure to Publish the changes to the workflow. 

Jo Newman-Bosak June 7, 2022

Edit Resolution.JPG

Is what I need to edit? If I delete #1, will that allow for the Resolution to stay as what I select i.e. Duplicate, Won't Do, etc? Will it affect the Status? I still want the Status to be Done. The only thing I need to change is the Resolution. I'm a little paranoid deleting something as this workflow is used by 28 Scrum Teams.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2022

Yep, that's the culprit! If you delete this post function, then the value used by the screen will stay in place. 

So, if the workflow is shared by that many teams, it will DEFINITELY affect them. However, since the screen is also applied to this workflow, then it will HELP them by not overriding what they are putting in the screen if they haven't noticed that it is doing that. 

Like Sarah Digioia likes this

So if I delete this line, it will keep my Resolution codes to what they are set as......it WILL NOT affect the Status of Done? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2022

Correct!

Thanks so much for your help!!! :)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2022

You are very welcome. If this has you all fixed up, can you click on the Accept Answer button above to close this one out? Thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events