Custom Fields Required

Ben Brooker November 11, 2018

Hi there,

I created some custom fields for a new KANBAN board I was working on (e.g. - "Phone Number).

After creating the custom field I assigned it to my new board (and only my new board).

I then and went and made the field "Required" (so if these "Required" fields are empty an error message will be shown)

ALL GOOD SO FAR ")

However, other boards started asking for these new required fields, despite not showing these custom fields when creating an issue

So the only way other boards could add issues was for me to remove the "Required" status from all my custom fields

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2018

To make fields mandatory, you amend a "field configuration" for the project.  

These field configurations can be shared by different projects, so my best guess is that you've set the field required in an field configuration that is used by many projects.

To fix this, separate them - copy the field configuration for the current project so that it has its own settings.

So I have copied a configuration, what are the next steps?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2018

Go to the project and tell it to use the new copied configuration.  Then change the configuration so that it makes the field optional.

Go to the project and tell it to use the new copied configuration.

Sorry, but where do I do that

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2018

Go to the project, go for the admin section, and select the field options.

Hi Nic,

Really sorry, but can you tell me where to go (name of buttons to click on) I am the admin, but I cannot see an "admin" or "administrator" section.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2018

If you are on server, there's a cog icon next to your profile icon near the top right.  If you are on Cloud, there should be a "project settings" link in the mid-to-left side bar.

Ben Brooker November 12, 2018

Hi Nic, thanks,

Cloud.

These are the steps I follow:

1. I navigate to my project
  2. Click on "Project Settings"
  3. Click on "Fields"
  4. This directs me to the System Default Field Configuration screen
  5. There are a few options here like the cog icon (Actions) and a pencil icon, but for the life of me I can't see how I assign a project to a configuration?
  6. I clicked on the pencil icon and then selected "View all field configurations".
  7. Here I can see all my configurations (including the new one I copied). Also, all the field configurations listed here besides the Default one and one I have copied are assigned to a Field Configuration Scheme, do I need to do that?

What do I do next? Am I even on the right track?

Sorry Nic, with 50,000 plus comments, I'm sure you have better problems to reply to, but I really do appreciate your help.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2018

you don't want to make a field require if it is shared w/ other projects. What you want to do is to add the field to the screen for the specific project on the desired transition(s) and you can use Validate to 'require' that it is filled in before the transition is allowed.

Can you explain how, please?

Steps to follow?

Suggest an answer