Custom Field for User to store Slack's user_id

Robert ten Bosch August 19, 2020

My team is about to start using Jira. And I'm pretty new to configuring Jira. So maybe I’m overlooking something. 

My question is this:

Is there a way to store external ids that are linked to the user especially the assignee?

Because my problem is this:

I want to send an individual a message on slack. I want to do this when they forget to log their hours in a ticket. 

I've already created the trigger to send the message but now I have to create a pretty big if else tree to send the message to every assigned individual team member. And i have to do this every time we get a new team member.

I was hoping there is something like {{assignee.custom_field.slack_id}} that I can use in the channel or user textbox. 

Kind regards, 

Robert

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2020

I've solved a very similar problem using entity properties, but they're not super friendly to use since JIRA doesn't give you a UI to set\edit them.

Depending on how often you add users and whether you have a source of truth for them, it might be easier to write a script to set them via the JIRA API - however if that's beyond you (as it would be me) you can set and edit entity properties using Automation rules.

Robert ten Bosch August 19, 2020

Thanx!

I'm going to look in to that.

- edit

I't worked.  I did however user the api route. I found that to be a little bit easier.

Like Haddon Fisher likes this
0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 11, 2020

Hi Robert,

Glad to hear you got started with storing the Slack UIDs as properties with an API call. We've released a script that should help speed this up (it will do all the users in the Slack workspace at once). You can check it out on this article. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events