Cross project releases

Namrata Pawar January 24, 2021

Hi, 

Could you please let me know is there a way to create cross project releases in JIRA cloud, without using Portfolio plugin?

Thanks

2 answers

1 vote
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2021

Hi @Namrata Pawar ,

if you don't want to maintain multiple versions in different project manually you can use Swanly app (for Jira Cloud) that will do it for you.

I wrote a post about this topic and how the app works a few months back, you can have a look here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/How-to-share-releases-between-projects-with-Cross-project/ba-p/1354688

I hope this helps :)

Nikki

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2021

Hi Namrata,

You can create a single board that has a filter that contains several projects. For example, Project = ABC, DEF, HIJ, 123)

Then, you need to be a project administrator on ALL of the projects used in the filter.

Finally, you can do a Release from the board for all of cards in the Done column. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2021

learning opportunity for me...

I have never done a release across multiple projects where I set the version.

Question - once you do this, if you go to the individual project’s release pages what release is shown and what issues are displayed. I assume that each project would have the same version displayed but the release would only show the issue for the one project. also, what happens if the version you release already exists in one of the projects? 

I may have to play with this in a test instance just to learn more. 

Namrata Pawar January 25, 2021

Hello,

I tried creating a version in a single board containing 2 or 3 projects, i have the below observations -

- I cannot just create the version, i have to create and release it immidiately, as the only button available id "Release"

- Even if i release it, i do not see the Release in the other projects for which the board is created, under the Release sections.

Also, i really want to have the release so that i can mark certain issues with these releases in every project so as to indicate the origin of the story or other issue type in that release.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2021

You will need to create the same Release in each project and attach that Release value to the cards that it applies to in each project. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2021

This question made me curious..

After looking around I believe that using a global automation rule (triggered on a project's version release), one could use the REST API to release versions in other projects.  A difficult part would be getting the board's filter to programmatically determine the related projects, get their versions, and then select the ones for the REST API calls.  Seems a lot of work for this use case.

Namrata Pawar January 25, 2021

Hi,

Thats the point here John, we do not wish to keep creating these releases in all the projects when we create them or later, it would have been good if we could create it just in one and have an option to decide wether it is a cross project release and select the projects.

This functionality i believe is provided by JIRA Portfolio, so i asked do we have it deirectly in JIRA?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2021

Portfolio has been replaced by Advanced Roadmaps. See if this helps:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapscloud/managing-releases-998651292.html

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events