Creation of dependencies in JIRA custom fields

Franziska Wiebels November 13, 2020

Hello,

We would like to create a JIRA form with custom fields which offers the opportunity to create dependencies between individual custom fields. E.g. custom field A has been selected and a further drop down or text field appears which offers the opportunity to insert something in relation to custom field A. If you choose customer field B other options will appear and so on.

Is there any functionality or plug-in which can be installed?

Thank you for advice.

Best,

Franziska

3 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2020

Hi Franziska,

We use the ProForma Forms add-on to be able to do that. 

Hema TB May 6, 2021

Hi @John Funk Can you please let me know, how you have achieved the fields dependency using ProForma plugin?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2021

Sure - you do it by adding sections. And then you make the section conditional depending on the value of a previous field. 

Then place your second field in the new section that appears conditionally based on the value of the first field. 

Hema TB May 13, 2021

@John FunkThanks for the answer. Its working now.

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 13, 2021

Great! Can you click on the Accept Answer button above to close this one out? Thanks!

Joseph Babalola
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 27, 2024

@John Funk is the PRO FORMA add on still available? I don't see it in the marketplace

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 28, 2024

Hi @Joseph Babalola  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community! Is this for Jira Cloud? If so, you don't need an add-on, it is built in. But you will need Jira Service Management subscription to use with JSM projects or Jira Software premium subscription to use with Jira Work Management. 

0 votes
Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

Hi @Franziska Wiebels ,

Could you describe a little bit more the kind of data you have in your select list custom fields? Do you have just a handful of options? Or maybe tens/hundreds? How are you maintaining the options?

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

Hey @Franziska Wiebels ,

i'm afraid such functionality does not exist out of the box (and certainly not on cloud).

Adaptavist has a solution like this on the Server platform (called behaviours) which I know they are looking at also implementing towards the Cloud platform but no guarantees towards that.

https://www.adaptavist.com/doco/display/SFJCL/Dynamically+show+and+hide+fields 

It's not an easy feature to implement as the API's don't always allow the customization of the form on Cloud.

You could take a look at ProForma forms https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215833/proforma-forms-checklist-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview and see whether that provide you with an adequate answer.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events