Creating issues from email and sending a response

genomapp July 23, 2017

Hello,

I've read several questions and docs about this issue and I'm still confused about if what I want to do is possible or not with Jira.

I have a system with a support@mysystem.com address. My system's users send emails to this address when they have a problem or find a bug, and they are created as an issue in Jira correctly.

My doubts:

- could it be possible that the email wasn't deleted from the email server after the issue was created?

- could the emails be filtered in some way (looking at some keywords in the subject for example) so that a specific email is not created as an issue in Jira? This is because sometimes there are emails sent to support@mysystem.com that are not user's issues (they could be differenced because the subject includes SUPPORT key or not depending on if they were sent from the support form or not).

- could Jira send a response to the user that send the email to support@mysystem.com with some information like TicketID? I think this is possible but I'm not sure how to do it.

- If this is possible, Jira has to create an account for that user or this is not mandatory?

Thank you very much!

1 answer

0 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2017

Ruben, 

i will try to answer, from your question i think that your using standard jira and not jira service desk.

Here you can find last version documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver074/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-881683958.html

- could it be possible that the email wasn't deleted from the email server after the issue was created?

no, this is not possible, jira will always delete the email, one time i had a requirement to save a copy of the email, we solve it by copying every mail to another inbox

- could the emails be filtered in some way (looking at some keywords in the subject for example) so that a specific email is not created as an issue in Jira? This is because sometimes there are emails sent to support@mysystem.com that are not user's issues (they could be differenced because the subject includes SUPPORT key or not depending on if they were sent from the support form or not).

jira will try to read every new mail, i think this is not possible, you need to setup a filter at the server level

- could Jira send a response to the user that send the email to support@mysystem.com with some information like TicketID? I think this is possible but I'm not sure how to do it.

if the sender is a jira user you can configure the notification scheme for the user to receive the issue creation event email, if the sender is not an user i think that you can achieve this by adding a script post function for example.

- If this is possible, Jira has to create an account for that user or this is not mandatory?

this is not mandatory, you can set the default reporter in the case that the mail sender is not a jira user

genomapp July 25, 2017

Hello Gaston,

Thank you very much for your answer. I think my only problem is how to send a response to the non-jira user that "created" the issue by sending an email.

After reading some questions and docs it seems that it's more or less easy with non free solutions as JEMH addon.

But I would like to try with only Jira solutions.

- I've tried adding a custom notification scheme to the issue Creation event, but I don't know how to set the email (how to set the email address, the ticked ID, etc...).

- I've tried to create a script in a post function on the issue creation event, but I don't know what should I choose in the "Add post function to transition" option list.

Any help would be very appreciated!

Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2017

Ok, there a lot of solutions:

are you using scriptrunner or any script tool?

scriptrunner is a great tool for scripting, from my point of view is the best.

there are free alternatives:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.quisapps.jira.jss/server/overview

I never used this python plugin

other "all Jira" alternative is to develop accustom post function in java

genomapp July 26, 2017

Then I'm afraid I will have to use a non free solution because all addons I've seen to manage emails to non jira users or to write scripts for (standard) Jira on the cloud are not free.

Suggest an answer