Creating a workflow involving multiple approvals

Ankit Patel December 8, 2017

I am looking to create a workflow where the reporter can assign task to multiple users who need to approve the task before providing a resolution to the task. 

Looking for something close to this approach by @Jack Brickey done in Jira Service Desk - 2-step approval in JSD. Thanks in advance for your help!

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2017

Hi,

If you're using Jira service desk, the approval state in the workflow can be setup in a way that multiple persons can be approvers and approvals might be either unique or from ALL approvers.

Hope this helps!

Ankit Patel December 11, 2017

Thanks Micky, 

What I am looking for is to do this in the JIRA Agile / Core Version. is there a workaround possible for this approach in there? Our organization avoids using plugins so I am having a difficult time figuring this out.

Thanks
Ankit 

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2017

Hi Ankit,

You can try and convince them saying that Service Desk is not a plugin but an application itself :-P

In terms of solutions it's very hard without plugins. The only idea I have is to use "Users in Group Custom field" condition between current status and approval status which might be OK with a vanilla Jira.For instance your workflow could be:

Open -> Approved Gate 0 -> Approved Gate 1 -> In Progress -> Done

With 2 custom fields (gate 0 approvers and gate 1 approvers) handling the groups in the "User is in group custom field" condition. That would work only if your approvers are "stable". Some plugins add the "User in user custom field", but again, it's plugins!

No better idea here :(

Let us know if you find a clever solution :)

Ankit Patel December 18, 2017

The clever solution I was able to discover is that I created a presentation and convinced them that we need service desk for their business needs. :)

Like # people like this
3 votes
Yadi October 4, 2019

Just my idea, by using sub-task.

• Create new issue type (use sub-task issue type, you can give the name for this issue type) and define simple flow contain status waiting approval, approve, reject.

issue type.PNG

• in parent ticket, if you need approval create sub-task from above issue type and assign to approver. if need 2 approver, create 2 subtask, if need 3 approver create 3 subtask.
  • modify the flow of parent ticket for blocking the transition if not all subtask is approve and allow transition to next status if all subtask is approve (and i think this can be automate by transition parent ticket if all subtask done)

Suggest an answer