Creating a simple Agile workflow

Aston Martin January 22, 2014

The below is a very simple and basic Agile workflow we are trying to create, but could not achieve this in JIRA Agile. Can anyone point me a video or a link that allows us to do this end-to-end?

Release

+-------- Sprint(s)

-----------+-------- Stories

----------------------+-------- Tasks

---------------------------------+-------- Sub-Tasks

In the above the only thing that is missing is Epic, but since we can have Epics spread across a Release or Sprints I have not shown it above. But we still want a way to filter the stories by Epics, Release, and Sprint.

Apart from this we are looking for the basic burn-down chart that shows our progress at Release and Sprint level.

Can anyone help on this?

2 answers

0 votes
Aston Martin January 23, 2014

Hi Peter, Thanks for your answers. I tried to create a scrum board, and trying experimenting adding existing stories and so on with the information you had provided.

1. I have a new column "QA ready" added in the Configure > Column Management, but this does not appear in the Sprint that I created on the Scrum Board > Work. What could be the issue?
  2. In the Scrum Board > Sprint. I could only see the stories that I have created either in To Do or In Progress, but I could not see the sub-tasks that are associated with it. I have indeed added the swinlane though I have done the below:
<form class="aui" style="margin: 20px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; position: relative; color: #333333; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px;">
<label style="color: #707070; float: left; margin-left: -145px; padding: 5px 0px 0px; position: relative; text-align: right; width: 130px; word-wrap: break-word;">Base Swimlanes on</label><select id="ghx-swimlanestrategy-select" class="select" style="color: #333333; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; border-color: #cccccc; border-top-left-radius: 3.01px; border-top-right-radius: 3.01px; border-bottom-right-radius: 3.01px; border-bottom-left-radius: 3.01px; box-shadow: #cccccc 0px 1px 3px inset; margin: 0px; max-width: 250px; vertical-align: baseline; width: 250px; height: 2.1428571428571em; line-height: 1.4285714285714; padding: 6px 5px 5px;"> <option value="custom">Queries</option><option selected="selected" value="parentChild">Stories</option><option value="assignee">Assignees</option><option value="epic">Epics</option><option value="none">No Swimlanes</option></select>
Group sub-tasks under their parent issue. Issues without sub-tasks will be shown in their own group at the bottom.
</form>
0 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2014

There are various ways to achieve that. If you are using JIRA Agile whate I would do is the following.

Release will be modeled in the system as Project Verison. So under project "Web Application" you will have versions 1.0, 2.0, etc.. based on your definition of a release.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Versions

Sprint will be something you create in Agile - there is a Create Sprint button in the planning view of a board. You have to create a board for that, let us know if you need help with that. In this case Sprint will be a field that JIRA Agile will control for you.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Creating+a+Sprint

Stories - you can use the issue type User Story that comes with JIRA Agile

Sub-tasks - configure sub-task issue type to your liking - quite often customers are asking for separate Dev Task, QA Task or Doc Task, but this is realy up to your specific needs.

Agile goard with give you burndown chart that you need for a sprint.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Viewing+the+Burndown+Chart

For release level you can go to the Agile tab under Project.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Viewing+a+Project's+Burndown+Chart

Again there are other ways to do that which are still very good and working. But I find this to be the most straight forward.

Hi Peter, Thanks for your answers. I tried to create a scrum board, and experimenting by adding existing stories and so on with the information you had provided.

1. I have a new column "QA ready" added in the Configure > Column Management, but this does not appear in the Sprint that I created on the Scrum Board > Work. What could be the issue?
  2. In the Scrum Board > Sprint. I could only see the stories that I have created either in To Do or In Progress, but I could not see the sub-tasks that are associated with it. I have indeed added the swinlane though I have done the below:

I would like to view like the below.

-------------To-Do-----------In-Progress-------------Done

Story1--------------------------------------------------------

-------------Task-111---------Task-222-----------Task-333

------------------------------------Task-444-----------Task-555

I found the reason for points 1 & 2.

For 1. Though I have added a new column, I did not map the statuses - ref: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Tutorial+-+Adding+a+Column+to+a+Board

I for some reason feel this is uncomfortable. I have added QA ready as my task but don't have an appropriate mapping in the system and had to choose something like resolved but not closed

For 2. The filters had an issue

But now, I am still not done... I need some help on the getting the Burn down chart up... the estimation vs tracking are little dicey, and its not entirely clear with the documentation here https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Configuring+Estimation+and+Tracking.

My query is how do I really see the burn down.

For example: I have a story

• ADMIN-111 - Create a Login Page (3 points)

It has 5 tasks as below:

• ADMIN-112 - Create a Spring framework for login (30h)
  • ADMIN-113 - Create a prototype (3d)
  • ADMIN-114 - Do the actual coding (12h)
  • ADMIN-115 - QA tasks (42h)
  • ADMIN-116 - Build scripts (12h)
  1. So what is the use of "Time Tracking" information in each of their JIRA page?
  2. What is the use of Edit > "Remaining Estimate" value?
  3. What is the use of Story number?
  4. Which of the value increased or reduced will get me the burn-down chart?

Suggest an answer