Creating a Scrum Master Board from other boards?

Elsa Navarro November 30, 2022

I learned that the best way to configure my work is by creating different boards for each team / department. Now I need to create an overview board / Scrum master board .

The  walkthroughs I have seen online are mainly on "how to create a scrum master board from different projects"  is an overview  board showing different  projects and have swimmlanes. 

My question is  how do I create that type of board but instead of displaying different projects, I display different boards from the same project?  ( and is this possible considering that each board has different amount of columns and names`? could I sort them out as  to do / in progress/ done on the  scrum master /overview board?)

I understand  that  a board is basically a filter of issues, so could this be done on with a certain Jira query? or labels?

P.S I use  the term "scrum master", but i am not using scrum boards ( just kanbans)  but i  mean it in a way that the scrum master normally needs a universal view of all teams

Thank you

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2022

Hello @Elsa Navarro 

Filters cannot be configured to select issues based on the board they are included in because issues can be included in multiple boards.

To create a board that encompasses the information in the boards for teams you need to create a filter that encompasses all the filters of the team boards.

If your team boards are selecting the issues from just one project, then you can use a simple filter to get all the issues from that one project:

project = <yourProject>

A board can have only one configuration for its status/column mappings, so you will not be able to have different columns display in that one board for each of the referenced boards.

If you want to somehow split that board to show the issues grouped by the team boards you could set the Swimlanes to the Queries option and then create a swimlane for each board, where the swimlane query is the filter for the board.

0 votes
Brandon Ivey March 12, 2023

Agreed to Trudy's point. You will want to make sur that you are setting your board filter up the way you want to see it (board configuration > general > board filter query). Additionally, you can utilize swimlanes for multiple projects, or if you want to see something in particular like a hotfix swimlane. If you have a lot of priorities on the board and don't wish to utilize swimlanes, you can also use quick filters and you can set those up for projects or something in particular as well; for example, issues with no story points. Another thing to note is you might try doing a filter in filter if you are setting up a board for multiple projects. That, or you can make sure you JQL for the board query is set up based off the parent/child relationship, so in case something is added under your project (assuming it is linked correctly) then it will show up on your query / board.

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events