Creating Kanban Software Project does not auto create kanban board?

Caleb TeBokkel July 2, 2021

I am creating a Kanban Software project based on settings from another Software Kanban Project.. but the project is created without a board and says "project doesn't have a board"?

Why would that ever be the case? Jira is so convoluted it hurts my brain.

Project Creation.PNGNo board.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2021

Hi @Caleb TeBokkel!

While reading your question, I though exactly on why on earth Jira does not create a board upon project creation with shared configuration. Well oddly enough I would do just for Jira, since boards are just the visual representation of a query.

So if you had a board with the simple query of a kanban board, then things would be fairly easy. But what about if you had on the share project, a kanban with a query that involved multiple projects? What would Jira do then?

So if you ask me, Jira lets you create your own board, based on whatever choice you make. And if you don't want to start from scratch, you can always copy pre existing boards :)

Hope that helps! 

Caleb TeBokkel July 2, 2021

Thank you for the great response! Jira serves a million users, so the use cases are vast - sometimes hard to conceptualize those cases. 

I took the walk of generating a new board, creating a new query, and assigning it to my project. 

Defaulting to copy the board (in a Kanban board project) and just give the option to change the attached query would still be the way to go imo..  but I understand this view point.

Thank you!

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2021

I'm glad that I was able to help you Caleb!

Be well and stay safe!

Like Caleb TeBokkel likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events