Create sub task button from story is missing

Avi May 4, 2017

I've created a scrum project, than an epic and a story which linked to the epic. 

When clicking the story, i can't see the add sub task button,it is not in the (...) menu also.if i click the create button,i can see the sub task option ( among task,story,epic option),what am i missing?

thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2017

Can you check your project's "issue type scheme".  Specifically, does it have any sub-task types listed?

Also, the "create issue" process will not offer you sub-task types.  You must be in the parent issue to create sub-tasks.

Tony Dials March 8, 2018

I am having the same issue.  I saw this once before and it magically seemed to go away.  But this morning, it is back.  It is not affecting all projects though, my personal one it shows up fine.

To shorten the questions:

• I am able to create subtasks on a story/task from the main issue screens, dropdown, subtask section(Screenshots 2,3)
  • I am just simply missing the button on the popup screen when viewing a task/story, and on the sidebar screen when a task/story is in the backlog
    • I cannot see the button even when a story/task has subtasks in it already
      (Screenshot 1)
    • I should be able to click the button like screenshot 4!

• NoSubtaskButton.pngSubtaskButton3.pngSubtaskButton2.pngSubtaskButton.png
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2018

@Tony Dials, might be a separate issue and this is a bit dated. Can you explain what you mean by "main issue screen"? Can you provide a full screenshot if it isn't obvious.

Tony Dials March 8, 2018

After troubleshooting with support, the main is that if the "Description" field is set as "Required" for Sub-Task screens, the quick bar button disappears.  Making it optional makes the button come back.  It seems to be a change in the cloud environment on March 5th that broke it which including a lot of changes in the "New Issue Screens".

What I meant by "Main Issue Screen" was if you are looking at an issue by clicking Project, then click Issues, then click All Issues.  From that screen I can create subtasks, just not from the Quick Add Buttons in the article.

1. Quick-add buttons: Add attachments and subtasks, and link issues.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/the-new-jira-issue-view-938040503.html

In Summary, setting the Description field to Required for subtasks, will cause the Quick Add Subtask button to disappear.  :)

Thanks for the help and I hope I am helping someone else bringing this up.

Like # people like this
Alexandra BIRTAR February 27, 2019

Yes, you helped, thank you very much.

0 votes
Dennis May 4, 2017

Have you tried to click on the menu more ? There you should find "Create Subtask"

Avi May 4, 2017

Tried it.no luck,no create button.

Dennis May 6, 2017

Are you facing his issue in all jira projects or just in the one you've recently created? When you click on create and create a subtask, is this assigned properly to the story and visible to you?

Suggest an answer