Create issue template on company managed projects

RFT3000 December 13, 2021

Hi there,

I'm wondering if it's possible to create issue templates on Company Managed projects. So far, I've only come across setting up issue templates for Team Managed Projects. 

My desired outcome is that when I create a new issue, the description is populated with pre-generated content as info panels that capture User Stories and Acceptance Criteria. 

Thanks for your support.

2 answers

0 votes
Nar Kumar C_ - Narva Software
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 5, 2024

Hi there,

Creating standard templates for Jira issues is now possible with apps available in the Marketplace.

You can try out our app:

Issue Templates Pro - Summary & Description Templates for Jira

You can set up templates to prefill issue summary and description fields when users create issues.

Cheers!

Marcel Thiesen February 5, 2024

Hey Nar Kumar,
Thanks for the feedback.
I am still hoping for a free-of-charge solution for company-managed projects as it is available in team-managed projects.
I will certainly have a look at your proposed solution, though. :)
Cheers!

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2021

Hi Rob - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

No, you can't create your own templates, but you can create a new project based on an existing project. So you are in effect cloning that project to a degree, and therefore, it's an almost template. 

RFT3000 December 22, 2021

Hi John. Thanks for your answer!

Ah, I'm disappointed to hear that but I'm interested to learn more about the workaround.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding it correctly. So your recommendation is to create a team-owned project with templates and create templates that can subsequently be used by company-owned projects?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2021

No, you would just create a "base" or "template" company-owned project with all of the schemes you want to use. 

Then you would create a new Jira Software project and select Kanban or Scrum. Then select to use that template.

Then you would select Company-managed project.

Then give the new project a name and check the box for Share settings with an existing project. 

screenshot.png

RFT3000 December 22, 2021

Thanks again for getting back to me swiftly, John.

Sorry, but I think I don't get it.

When you say ''just create a "base" or "template" company-owned project with all of the schemes you want to use.'' could you please extrapolate on the steps? Especially ''the schemes you want to use'' since setting up the schemes (templates you mean?) is what I'm trying to achieve in the first place.

Thanks for your support. Much appreciated!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2021

A project template in Jira is basically just a collection of all of the schemes that are associated with the project. 

If you go to a project board and then click on Project Settings on the left (you will need to be a project administrator). Next go to Summary. 

There you see all of the schemes associated with the project - workflows, screens, fields, etc. So you select all of the schemes you want that project to use, then you will basically be coping that project setup when you use the Share settings with an existing project box of creating a new project. 

I hope that helps a little. 

RFT3000 January 3, 2022

Good afternoon, John.

Hope you had a nice holiday season and thanks again for your reply.

I've reviewed the Summary tab in the Project settings but I'm not sure how this will allow me to create template issues. Maybe I missed something but I'll refer to my initial desired outcome:

''My desired outcome is that when I create a new issue, the description is populated with pre-generated content as info panels that capture User Stories and Acceptance Criteria.''

It seems that the pages you're referring to are allowing me to create issue-type schemes but not allowing me to set up pre-generated content.

Am I perhaps missing something?

Thanks for your help!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2022

Hi Rob - yes it was a good holiday season - thanks for asking.  :-)  And I hope yours was the same.

There's not a real simple way to do what you want. My suggestion is that you create some issues with that pre-populated content. You are not able to put in "default" values for the Description field. 

Then you can just clone that issue which will create the issue with the default content. Then you can edit the issue to update the Description field. 

But you are not going to be able to present the user with pre-populated text in the Description field while they are in create mode.

The other option is to create a new Paragraph type custom field and put the content in the Default value for that field. Then you would need to use that field instead of the Description field when creating. You could create an automation rule to copy over the contents of the new field into the Description field after the issue gets created if you like. 

RFT3000 January 3, 2022

Hi again John,

Yeah, my holiday season was nice as well. Could spend time with my nephews and nieces and with the newborn of my brother.

I was afraid this was the case. It seems like a simple request especially since it's possible on team-owned projects. I think I'll create a team-owned project since the benefits of a company-owned project do not weigh against having pre-populated tickets.

I appreciate the time and effort you took to help me!

Have a great start of the week!

Cheers!

Like John Funk likes this
Kevin Feng August 8, 2023

Hi John,

I'm running into the same issue as described by RFT3000. Our goals are identical as well.

''My desired outcome is that when I create a new issue, the description is populated with pre-generated content as info panels that capture User Stories and Acceptance Criteria.''

Is there an intentional reason why this isn't a feature with company-managed boards? Seems strange that such a convenient feature is left off.. Are there plans to add this?

Like # people like this
Marcel Thiesen February 5, 2024

Hi John,

I'm experiencing the exact same thing here: there is a high need to have specific issue types with pre-populated content in the description field upon issue creation within company-managed boards.

Any update whether or when this highly convenient functionality will be available is much appreciated.

Cheers!

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2024

There's no change here and don't expect there would be any time soon. You need to create a new custom field of Paragraph type. Then put your content in the Default value for that field. 

Then create an automation rule that runs on Issue Created and copy the value from the custom field to the Description field. 

Put the Description field on the Edit screen (and View screen) but not the Create screen. And put the custom field on the Create screen and not the Edit screen or View screen. 

Suggest an answer