Create inline issue goes to Backlog, not Sprint

Catherine Tarrant November 4, 2019

Create Issue.jpg

I am a Jira Admin for a Jira Server instance, v8.4.2.  My client has reported that they are no longer able to create issues inline, as described here:

https://developer.atlassian.com/server/jira/platform/inline-create-for-jira-issues/,

and have them added to an upcoming sprint as they had been able to do previously.  Now when they create an issue inline, it gets added to the Backlog, even though they select the Sprint name when creating the ticket.  My client is trying to create the issue on one (of many) boards the project has. I have confirmed that the filter for the board is shared with all project members.

I'm not sure how else to troubleshoot this issue; any ideas..?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2019

Hello @Catherine Tarrant

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, I clearly understand that the "create inline issue" option on the active Sprints is creating issues in your backlog, although the Sprint is selected in the creation. 

Analyzing other similar cases, I recommend you to check the following steps:

1 - Navigate to your project > Project Settings > Screens > In the create issue screen of the task issue type, check if the Sprint field is properly added to it

2 - Depending on the JIRA version you are using, you might be impacted by a bug where the required fields would prevent you from create issues in Sprints. Can you check you have any required fields on your screen?

3 - Can you check if the users are able to create issues in the sprint using the default create method, by adding the Sprint in the create issue screen?

4 - Is this problem occurring only for specific users or for all users in your instance?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Catherine Tarrant February 21, 2020

Thank you for responding to my question, and my apologies for the long delay in getting back to you. To answer your questions...

1. I have confirmed that the Sprint field has been added to the create issue screen for all of the project's issue types.

2. The bug you mentioned was supposed to be resolved in v6.50. We are using v8.4.2. Is it possible that the bug was reintroduced?

3. Yes users are able to create issues via the default method.

4. This problem is occurring in both our test instance and our production instance for two separate users (I was able to recreate the problem in our test environment).

In the test environment, once I was able to recreate the issue. Then I updated the field configuration for the project to make all previously required fields optional but this did not have any impact.

Would it be possible to re-open JSWSERVER-11105? I think the bug is back.

Thanks for your help.

Suggest an answer