• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Create epic on roadmap view with label

I have a jira board which uses a label filter to control which epics and issues are shown on the board.

When I click "+ Create epic" on the bottom of the new Roadmap view, I get an alert saying that it's not visible due to the filter?

Is there a way to have the epics I create in this manner automatically get the right label applied?

1 answer

It depends on your use case I think,

Creating the epic from that view doesn't do anything differently (that I know of) than creating it from the large create button at the top of JIRA - it just skips a couple of steps.  You can use the fact that it's creating Epics in a specific project for automation triggers, but whether this solution will work is going to be based on when/why you're using that label.

You can use a post-process to add a label automatically, but it would apply to all epics using that workflow. 

It might be possible, using automation and some other conditions (like a specific word) to conditionally detect something in the summary.
For example:
When using that Roadmap view add a keyword to the title, like "ROAD" (for example), then using automation you can detect the keyword and add the label, then modify the title to remove the keyword.

This would be a fairly silly amount of work - and I don't actually advise you do that - but I think it's theoretically possible none the less.

Thanks Chris, 

we have multiple boards within one project, each board corresponds to a somewhat independent workstream. We separate those out using labels. For this particular workstream I want to plan out at an epic level. 

Perhaps we should be using projects instead of boards split out by label?

That might end up being a better fit for you, since the boards themselves can easily handle multiple projects and workflows, you might find the project level separation gives you a bunch of flexibility.

It's certainly not required, but I think that the benefits would outweight the setup costs.  If you need to change something like security permissions, having separate projects will save you a huge amount of hassle.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

7,021 views 8 28
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you