Create an Epic within an Epic

Matthew.Marin May 28, 2021

I am using Classic Version:

I have lost the ability to create an Epic within an Epic. There must have been a recent update that closed that loop. In the past, I could create a Story within an Epic and establish a link. Once the link was established you could go back into the Story and change it to an Epic and then that jira story (Now an Epic) would maintain the relationship to the Parent Epic. 

Now its breaking the relationship even though the message says the relationship wont be lost in Classic Projects. Epic Issue.JPG

Is there a setting that needs to be turned on or is there another work around. My previous ones i have completed are still maintaining their relationship. 

Epic Issue2.JPG

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, Matt M

3 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2021

Hi Matthew,

In your example image above, that's because the Issue Type you are moving to/converting to, uses a different workflow. It might be in the past that two different issue types used the same workflow and then you can simple change the value of the Issue Type in the issue itself. But not so if they use different workflows. 

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2021

The message about losing the relationship is based on the assumption that you are moving the issues from one project to another. If you were moving the issue from one Company Managed project to another Company Managed project, the Epic Link would be retained. If you were moving the issue between a Company Managed project and a Team Managed project or vice versa, the relationship to the Epic would be lost.

Atlassian never intended to natively support the ability to have an Epic as a child of an Epic. You found a loophole in their code. The fact that you can't use this loophole anymore is not itself a bug. Rather, Atlassian has fixed what they would consider to be a bug.

You can extend the issue hierarchy above Epics using Advanced Roadmaps in the Premium plan, and you can find 3rd party apps in the Marketplace to help you extend the issue hierarchy in other ways, but I don't think you can expect Atlassian to support a loophole feature that they never intended to support.

0 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2021

Hi @Matthew.Marin welcome to the Atlassian community.

I'm puzzled with the query. Create an epic in an epic! I never came across such an option in Jira. Are you by any chance using or used any plugin with that kind of features?

Matthew.Marin May 28, 2021

Thanks for responding @G subramanyam . 

No, we are using the baseline software. This was just a loop in the process. The reason i say a loop, is that you had to create as a Story first and then covert to an Epic, but something recently changed that forced stories to be converted when changing the task type. Prior, the issue type would just change and you didnt have to covert. Thats what changed as i see it. 

Epic Issue3.JPG

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events