Create a sprint from items already part of sprints in other projects

Srini K May 1, 2019

Hi, 

We have a ton of JIRA projects, containing different work items and active sprints. I created a new JIRA project, created a filter to fetch work items from multiple existing projects. Created a scrum board using that filter.  All the work items show up in the backlog of the new project.

But, I don't see any option to create a new sprint where I can pull different work items, belonging to different projects and different sprints. 

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2019

Hi Srini,

You can certainly create a new JQL filter that contains all the issues from multiple projects, and then use that filter as a basis for a new board.

However if you don't see the option to create a new sprint here, it likely is because you don't have the "Manage Sprint" and/or "Schedule" permissions in one or more of the projects where you are pulling issues from.  If that happens, you can't create/manage sprints from that board.  You can find more on this permission setting in Managing project permissions.

You should still have a greyed out button for create sprint.  Try hovering over this and/or trying to click this greyed out button.  If this is a permission problem, I believe that box can tell you which specific project/project key your account doesn't have permissions on to manage sprints.  If you're a system admin, you can give yourself the needed permissions.  If not, then you would need to either reach out to an admin that can grant you permissions, or amend your filter to remove any projects where you do not have the need permissions.

I hope this helps,

Andy

Suggest an answer