Create a Filter that will display the Fix version of the Epic and The Initiative

Chris Waller September 22, 2021

Hi All,

I am trying to build a filter that will display epics and the associated initiatives horizontally with both displaying their Fix Versions so that I can find any where they don't match. Can someone help by pointing me in the right direction?

TIA

2 answers

0 votes
RVS_Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2021

Hi @Chris Waller 

If you would be interested in a paid add-on you can try out 

Agile Tools : Epic Tree & Time in Status 

The plugin provides complete hierarchy of your Initiatives with option to include Fix version column in the resultant hierarchy

Thanks

Chris Waller September 29, 2021

Madhu,

Thanks for the info. As I work for a very large government department I don't think I am able to make that decision, but thanks for passing that on. I will certainly ask some questions about the add-ins for JIRA.

Thanks Once Again.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2021

Hi Chris,

There is currently not an easy way to see this information in a single screen.  We have a feature request I think relates to this over in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-18839

That request seeks to be able to do a JQL lookup of issues based on a parent value.  In that example they are using an issue/subtask relationship, but the concept could also apply to an epic/task and again from initiative/epic relationships as well if implemented.

There might be some other means to try to condense this information out or display it in another manner here.  But I don't think that JQL alone is going to be able to do this today.  Perhaps we can leverage automation in Jira in order to be able to identify these issues more easily.  I am unclear though as to the expected relationships here.  Are you expecting that an epic will contain all the fixVersions of the child issues in it?  This is not something I would necessarily expect.

Andy

Chris Waller September 30, 2021

Morning Andy,

I have only just started using JIRA and am not currently aware of its capabilities. The team I work on have been tasked with checking that everything is OK in JIRA. We have currently developed half a dozen filters that will display where there are anomalies which are of concern. With so many people using JIRA in the organisation, I am sure that we are all using it slightly differently and our job is to find and rectify if there have been omissions (where fields have been left blank) or where people have input the incorrect information into certain fields.

Anything you can suggest to automate the tasks or make the filters easier to manage would be appreciated.

TIA

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 30, 2021

Hi Chris,

You might be able to leverage the Automation within Jira Cloud to keep this data in sync.  I had a similar answer today over in https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Auto-update-epic-start-end-based-upon-contained-stories-and/qaq-p/1818914#U1821834

where a user wanted to change the epic Due Date when a child story was due much later.  I think you could do the same thing here with Automation, but instead of comparing due dates, you can compare fixVersions between epics and their child issues and then add such values.  If you are not familiar with using our Automation, then I would suggest starting with Automate your Jira Cloud processes and workflows and Smart values - general.

You could create an automation rule that can add a fixVersion value from epic to child or a different rule to do this from child to epic, depending upon how you want to try to manage that data.

Is this helpful?  Interested to see if that might better meet your need here.

Andy

Chris Waller October 4, 2021

Morning Andy,

I think Automation is the way forward. I have been reading about Automation, hence not getting back to you before today. What with the pressure of other work etc. The only thing that is holding me back is the fact that people in other areas use JIRA as well as ourselves and I don't want to do anything that is going to adversely impact their work. With the best will in the world you can read and read and not find the answer you are looking for.

My question is if you have an epic and or liked initiative can you restrict the Automation to tickets with numbers starting (for example ABCD-nn) or does the Automation affect ALL epics and linked initiatives? TIA 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
October 4, 2021

It depends on how the issues are being selected within Automation.  If you use a branch rule to then make actions on related issues, such as on child issues, then in that setup, the actions would apply to all the issues that meet that condition.

But that said, you can create Conditions within automation in order to restrict which issues automation actions should occur on.  Those conditions can be used to restrict which issues will be affected.

Like Chris Waller likes this
Chris Waller October 5, 2021

Andy,

Thanks for the info above and being patient with me. I have thought for a while now that we could be using JIRA more efficiently and I think Automation is the way forward. Currently we are creating filters to highlight where there are anomalies and then addressing those with the reporter, which to me is kind of wasting my time and theirs going over the same old ground time and again.

I suppose all my colleagues have differing ideas about how JIRA should be used and their different roles within that. In large organisations like the one I work for is that the more you aim for consistency the more diversely you find people are using the same tool. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events