Create Jira Project for Production Environment

Chiara Spadavecchia January 29, 2021

Hi,

I need to create the project for Production environment.

What can I do?

I know that It is possible to create a project using the configurations (automation, post-functions) of another project but the configurations are shared. 

For example, If I released a bugfixing into DEV I don't want to release directly in PROD.

Thanks

3 answers

0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2021

@Chiara Spadavecchia ok what you are talking about makes lot of sense.

Your best bet in this case will be Configuration Manager plugin. You can create a snapshot for the project then deploy it to any other environment to run your tests.

Let me know if you want to learn more about the plugin(not advertising for the vendor but it does exactly what you are looking for)

Best,

Fadoua

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 2, 2021

You can clone entire classic projects, along with settings, issues, versions and components with our Jira cloud app Deep Clone for Jira.

You can read more about cloning projects here.

If you want to clone only the project, but without issues, please follow this workaround.

If you have questions or feedback, don't hestitate to contact our support.

0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2021

@Chiara Spadavecchia 

Not sure if I am getting your question right, but you can create a project in Jira without sharing another project's configuration.

Best,

Fadoua

Chiara Spadavecchia January 30, 2021

My question is the following one: is there a way to clone a project to avoid to do manually all the configurations? 
Thanks 

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2021

@Chiara Spadavecchia 

Jira doesn't have an option to clone a project, however you can create a project using a template where you can reuse a permission scheme, workflow scheme,....

Does it make sense to you?

If not let me know.

Best,

Fadoua

Chiara Spadavecchia January 31, 2021

Ok, how can I do the project template?Thank you

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2021

There is no special function to create a project template as per definition. What usually is meant by this is to create a project with a clean (=standardized) configuration that should be used as a "blueprint" when creating new projects.

Some users choose to have some of them so that only a copy is needed to have similar projects started fast.
Some users choose to create a project with a minimum of elements and choose to adapt the project slightly after having it copied over from template to a new project.

In any case the intention is to prevent the creation of configurations that are not needed and would be just deleted after its creation anyways.

For the actual process of cloning a project an App could used, like Marlene mentioned.

Chiara Spadavecchia February 2, 2021

I need to create an independent "mirror" project (env). Imagine you need DEV, TEST and PROD env. If there is a bug into PROD you need to replicate the problem into DEV/TEST without compromise PROD. I don't want that the configurations are shared between projects. For example, To create TEST env/project I need to create a "blank" project and I have to do all the configurations manually from scratch?Workflow, Validator, Post-functions, ...

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2021

Almost. 

For classic projects, you would not have to start from blank and rebuild a new set of configurations entirely - you can copy existing workflows, screens, schemes and so-on, but you'll still have to apply them to your new project, and check how all the custom fields are given context into the projects.

For Next-gen projects, yes a blank project and reconfigure would be necessary, they don't have copy-able settings.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events