Create Issues from comma separated values in description Jira Automation

Darren June 2, 2020

Using Jira Automation.

Trying to automatically create issues based on a comma separated list in the description field. 

I cannot figure out how to create issues from a list.

Any help would be great.

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2020

Hi Darren,

Can you give us an example of what you want use to create the issues? 

And why would you do that from the description field and not another more dedicated field? 

Darren June 2, 2020

In the Description field, I would have something like the following. Most of my users are just sending email to be imported. I was just using the description field as a catch all.

the format would be something like.

Task: Do this, Do that, Do the other

From this I would want to create three issues named Do this, Do that and Do the other.

Darren

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2020

What happens if they use too many commas?   :-)

I think your best bet would be to create some type of custom field(s) and then copy and paste values from the description field into those fields.

Then you could setup an Automation For Jira rule to create issues when the field is updated (from being empty).

Otherwise, not sure how you can do that. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events