Core expiring, but I am licensed for Software and Service Desk

john.d November 20, 2020

Self Hosted, starting with Core Starter , currently 8.5.1
upgraded to Software  also currently 8.5.1
Then added Service Desk  currently 4.5.1

On Windows 2016 Server

We keep seeing 
"Your Jira Core maintenance will expire 29/Nov/20. You can stay eligible for support and updates by renewing your maintenance."

And 
"Jira Core 8.13.1 is now available."

What do i do do clean this up? - I shouldn't need to renew this, should I?
I can't seem to uninstall it, either.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2020

Hi John,

as long as you have a valid license for Jira Software (which "includes" Core) you don't have to worry about the expiration.

Core cannot be uninstalled because it would be a non-defined state - there is no Jira Software without Jira Core.

It might be possible to remove the Jira Core license from the license box on the page you saw - but I have not tested this, probably a short test on a test machine will be better to look if it works out fine.

Cheers,
Daniel

john.d November 21, 2020

Thanks, Daniel.

I don't see any uninstall option for core (all the other products on the page DO have the option), so maybe i just need to pay the $10 to stop the constant expiry alerts. Users keep ticketing it, trying to be helpful. And peers/bosses think we're not on top of things...you know, letting licenses expire...LOL

Any thoughts on the version message?
Should i upgrade Jira core to the latest version, regardless of what version of Jira Software I'm running?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2020

You cannot uninstall core but you could try to remove the license from that page.

In case you want to upgrade you need the upgrade package for Jira Software as well (along with the license).

Like john.d likes this
john.d November 21, 2020

Deleting the key seemed to stop the messages - thanks!

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2020

Perfect, you are welcome!
May I ask you to mark the answer as accepted using the "Accept Answer" button?
Other users with the same question can then easier find the solution.

Thank you!

Suggest an answer