Copy single line text field from parent to sub-taks in Automation

John March 22, 2024

I am just trying to copy a single-line text field from the parent issue into a sub-task in my Team-Managed Jira Software Cloud Project.

I want my sub-task to include this text field from the parent/trigger issue as part of it's summary field:

IE {{issue.Text Field Name}} Issue Request

But the result I am getting back is just " Issue Request"

I have other fields in this sub-task generation that also reference the parent issue IE {{issue.Customer Expected Date.plusBusinessDays(20)}}, and this works as expected.

Is there a limitation for referencing a single line text field? What am I missing here?

3 answers

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2024

Hi @John 

This should work.

What field are you trying to copy? And is it a custom field?

---

Something to ensure is the smart value for the field is the correct casing/spelling - smart values are case sensitive.

Or, you can use the custom field ID to make it an absolute - eg.

• Field is called "Test Short Text", ID is 123456
  • You could use...
    • {{issue.Test Short Text}}
    • {{issue.customfield_123456}}
  • But, this might not work...
    • {{issue.Test short Text}}, or...
    • {{issue.test short text}}

Ste

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2024

Hi @John 

Adding to Stephen's answer:

One way to identify the correct smart value (or custom field id) for fields is using this how-to article.  Essentially you identify an example issue with your field, call a REST API function from a browser, and then search for your field on the results.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/find-the-smart-value-for-a-field/

Here is an example of the call for the browser:

<your Jira URL>/rest/api/2/issue/<your Issue Key>?expand=names

Kind regards,
Bill

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2024

Hi @John 

Have you tried using the custom field ID, as suggested in my previous answer.

You can find the ID using the instructions @Bill Sheboy has mentioned.

Ste

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2024

Hello @John 

In order to help you debug your Automation Rule we need to see the rule itself. Please provide images showing the full rule and the details of each step.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2024

Hello @John 

Looking at the image you posted today (March 25)

1. Can you provide screen images showing your complete rule? Sometimes the problem is the context in which a step is executing. Sometimes the solution, when you know you specifically want data from the issue that triggered the rule, is to use {{triggerIssue....}} instead of {{issue...}}
  2. Can you show us an example of the actual Customer Name field within the context of an issue that would've triggered the rule? This will help us ensure that the name is correct within your smart value.
  3. Can you add a Log Action after the rule Trigger to print {{issue.Customer Name}} into the rule execution Audit Log, and tell us what the result is? That will help ensure that the rule is finding the value for that field.
0 votes
John March 25, 2024

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ , @Trudy Claspill Please see the attached images for an example of the workflow/field name. 

Things to note:
1. This is a team managed project

2. The field "Customer Name" is a Team managed issue type custom field - not a system/admin level custom field, and it is not data linked to an underlying system field.

3. The current automation produces no output for the reference {{issue.Customer Name}}

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 3.43.31 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-03-25 at 3.43.05 PM.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events