Copy "label" type field's value to "select list (multiple choice)" field

Hashem Sarsour March 13, 2024

Question:

Is it possible to copy the values of a label type field (custom field) to a new field with the type "select list (multiple choice)"?

4 answers

2 votes
Jerrold - Empyra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2024

Hi @Hashem Sarsour 

Regrettably, Jira does not have a built-in feature to clone or copy fields. One potential solution would involve creating the new field via the API, but  you will still need to input  the values of the label field as text.

API to create a custom field  

Thank you.

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2024

Hi @Hashem Sarsour -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What problem are you trying to solve?  That is, why do this?

Knowing that may help the community to offer better suggestions to solve that problem.  Thanks!

Kind regards,
Bill

Hashem Sarsour March 14, 2024

Hi Bill,

I have a labels field that is used to store keywords.

I want to limit the users from creating new keywords and only use the ones in the list.

My thought is to create a "select list (multiple choice)" with the existing values in the labels field.

I understood from @jerrold that there is no built in solution for this matter.

Thanks

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2024

Thanks for that information. 

And if you need this one time only, calling the REST API function would help, as Jerrold suggested, or...

Find a marketplace addon which can do this type of field value import, install a trial, add the field to try it out.

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 13, 2024

Hi @Hashem Sarsour

if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, this would be easy to do using the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you'd do in e.g. Google Sheets or Excel. You can also bulk-edit your fields, using copy/paste. This makes it very easy to copy values from one column (i.e., field) to another column/field, e.g. from labels to a select list.

This is how it looks in action:

copy-paste-labels-to-multi-select.gif

You only need to make sure that your labels fit the select field. If that's not already the case, you can e.g. copy your values to Excel, manipulate them there, and then copy them back to JXL.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
karim -Atlassway-
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 13, 2024

Hi @Jerrold - Empyra 

Using Colored Label Manager you can :

Visualize your labels with at-a-glance quickness to save time and avoid mistake - Make your issues more colorful

Allow your team to define their labels, cleanup and organize them quickly with bulk powerful functionality .

media2 v2.png

Karim 

Atlassway Team

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders