Copy description of "template" US

Mick van Breukelen October 22, 2020

Currently descriptions come from a lot of places and are written by a lot of people. But, for consistency, I'd like to write all my Jira cards in the same way.

So, I've created a "template card", which I can copy paste into every other PBI.

I was hoping, though, this could easily be done with rule automation.

So I want:

When I want to execute (manual trigger)
The current US description becomes = template description + current description (I don't want to lose my current description)

Anyone can help me along? Do I need to use the advanced field editing? And if so, how?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2020

Hi @Mick van Breukelen 

Yes, you can do that.  We add the INVEST definition after the description once a story is created, and you could switch the order put your template first.

Here is an outline what we do:

• Trigger: issue creation
  • Action: re-fetch (We do this because of the potential timing issues in rule execution, so all data may not be loaded for the create trigger without the re-fetch.)
  • Related issues condition: check if any Related Issues are linked issues, with types of "is cloned by" or "clones".  (This prevents adding the template to cloned issues.)
  • Action: edit description, add your template text, followed by {{issue.fields.description}}

Best regards,

Bill

0 votes
Julien Guilbert December 3, 2020

Hi @Mick van Breukelen 

Test this app Easy Field Template

You can add a template with a manual trigger.

Julien

Mick van Breukelen December 29, 2020

Hi @Julien Guilbert 

I'm not sure why I would. Rule automation is free, while that app would cost me.. $25 per month?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events