Copy Transition Name into Custom Field

Paul Glock July 14, 2020

I have a requirement to update the names of a custom field on an issue so that when it is moved from one stage on the JIRA work flow to another it update that custom field to match the step of the workflow.

For example I have a flow

(1) To Do

(2) In Progress

(3) DONE

When I move a Issue from To Do to In Progress I want to update the custom field to match. 

The requirement is for a more complex workflow I am designing but the above satisfies the requirement.

I have gone into Automation and selected a new rule. Selected Issue Transitioned as the option and I can see I can update a custom field based on a transition and I can select an option to Copy from Current Issue but then the options to copy do not include the name of the transition.

Is this possible in anyway. Any advise greatly appreciated :)

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2020

Hi @Paul Glock 

Is the custom field text?  If so, have you tried to set the field value to the status name as {{issue.status.name}}

Best regards,

Bill

Paul Glock July 14, 2020

Thanks Bill that worked :)

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2020

Hi Paul - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Instead of doing a Copy from Current Issue why not just hard code the value? In other words, when it moves to In Progress then populate with the words In Progress. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events