Copy/Paste Loses Formatting In New Editor

David Bounds May 17, 2021

In our organization we will often copy/paste sections from one ticket into another. In the old text editor if you were in 'edit' mode you could copy the section of text that may have bullets, indents, bolding...etc and paste it into a new ticket and all the formatting would carry over. 

In the new text editor if you are in edit mode and copy/paste a section of the ticket that is formatted with bullets...etc - everything is lost. When you paste into the new ticket/comment section all the bullets, bolding, indents, numbering are all lost. 

Is there a way to copy formatted text out of a ticket and paste into a new ticket and keep the formatting (bullets, bold, indents, numbering...etc)?

1 answer

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 18, 2021

Hello David,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Testing on my local site, I wasn’t able to replicate the same issue.

I added a text on the description of a ticket and then edited adding bold, italic, and bullet list. Then, I copied the text in edit mode and pasted it on the description field of another ticket and the format was kept. 

Were that the correct steps or are you copying a formatted text from another text editor (like Word, for example) and pasting it to the ticket? 

Can you please share a screenshot of what happens? Just make sure to hide private information.

Kind regards,
Angélica

David Bounds May 21, 2021

Hey! It seems to be that when we click 'Create' to create a new ticket, that modal is using the old text editor potentially? For example if you copy something out of an existing ticket which is using the new text editor, then click 'Create' and copy that formatted text into the Description box of the 'Create' modal it does not bring over the formatting.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2021

Thank you for the details, David.

Yes, the create issue screen uses the old editor (Wiki Markup), that’s why it won’t work.

There is a feature request suggesting the implementation of the new editor to the Create issue screen:

Please, click on vote and also watch the feature above to receive updates.

Kind regards,
Angélica

David Bounds May 24, 2021

Got it and thank you!

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Paul Da Silva October 8, 2021

Any update?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
October 11, 2021

Hi @Paul Da Silva,

Thanks for reaching out to Community!

The updates about new features are always posted on the description of the feature request ticket:

- New view on Create Issue screen for Wiki Editor 

Please, make sure to watch the ticket above to receive future updates from our product managers.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer