Copied screenshot or an image in clipboard

ND Mathur July 4, 2021

if you have a copied screenshot or an image in clipboard from another jira prohect how would you attach to an issue in new JIRA issue view because CTRL+V is not working

3 answers

0 votes
Chris Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2021

I found a similar behaviour:

one of our service desk agents wants to copy a comment from one issue to the next, as the response to the tickets is the same.

copy + paste leads to broken images in the new ticket.

Is my assumption right, that with copying the comment, she is not copying the screenshot, but only its reference? (e.g. !image-2021-12-02-10-08-19-038.png!)

Are those references global or only per ticket?

Is there a way to copy screenshots form one ticket to another?

(edit: my question relates to Jira Server 8.20.1)

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2022

Is my assumption right, that with copying the comment, she is not copying the screenshot, but only its reference?

There is a trick, please check if it works for you.

1.) Go to the "source issue".
2.) Right-click the attachment, choose "copy link address" (or similar named)
3.) In the destination issue add a comment and insert the full URL (the copied one) between exclamation marks like this (note: insert it into text mode, not visual):
!https://jira.example.org/jira/secure/attachment/12044291/image-2022-05-28-09-03-37-295.png!
Please note: the above is just an example for a non-existant Jira-instance
4.) Save the comment.

If this is too complicated I'd recommend to go the "official route" - the user would need to save the attachment first (to local disk), then to attach it to the "second" issue (where the comment should be pasted).

Chris Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2022

Hi @Daniel Ebers 

Thank you very much for that work around. IMHO it is not a good solution. I would rather prefer that Atlassian changes Jira, so that references to images are global and not per ticket.

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2021

Hi @ND Mathur

are you saying copy & paste works also not well on the PC itself?

and i tried with pasting in MS word but is not pasted there as well.

I am wondering if the problem is related to the PC, probably to a stuck key on the keyboard even?
It's not said as a guarantee that there is no error in your browser - but assuming we are talking about Microsoft Word as a local installation (and the copy & paste is there not working also...) for a moment or two I would suggest checking the PC further - in second step the browser and finally Jira (Cloud) (here: for any wrong settings but apart from permissions there comes no setting to my mind that could be responsible).

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2021

Hi @ND Mathur ,

If ctrl+v isn't working, try shift+insert. But prior of that, try to paste the image using ctrl+v on a word document, just to see that you have indeed copy the image.

Alex

ND Mathur July 4, 2021

Thanks Alex for quick response,

tried shift+insert, still same issue, and i tried with pasting in MS word but is not pasted there as well. Though pasting in MS Paint is working fine.

If i copy from source Jira project and paste in MS Paint and then copy from MS Paint to  destination jira project then it works fine.

One more thing, when i tried ctrl+v or shift+insert then i am getting "Failded to load" error.

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2021

Hi @ND Mathur ,

That's strange...I recommend to save the image in a file and attach the file to the issue.

ND Mathur July 4, 2021

Thanks Carlos, I agree that's one of solution though not efficient but workable. seems like there have been some changes lately otherwise this copy/paste used to works fine. Copy paste is very basic feature, should be working fine to make more effective user experience.

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 4, 2021

@ND Mathur try to clear your browser's cache and then try again. Better, try the same operation from an incognito window. Do let me know if that works.

ND Mathur July 5, 2021

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_ Still same issue, does it matter if i am login with different account in both projects.

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2021

@ND Mathur I didn't say to login with different accounts. I said to clear your browser's cache or try logging in with an incognito window. Different thing :) (it could possible however yield the same results).

Can you please try what I've mentioned and report back?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events