Configure Jira to capture VSM

Glen January 7, 2021

I'm looking to see if anyone has done Value Stream Mapping using Jira. If so, would you be able to share your experience? thanks. 

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2021

Hi @Glen 

I have not done a VSM in Jira, although there might be a marketplace add-on for it.  Although I didn't find one after a quick search.

Some challenges of doing a VSM in Jira include the decision point entry, measurement information capture, and having multiple people updating the columns (to approximate steps) simultaneously.  I'm guessing Jira would not be a good tool for VSM.  A Jira alternative would be to use the related Confluence product's wiki capabilities and facilitate the conversation/mapping.  Or even Trello.

You may want to do a browser search for free/trial tools to test out as alternatives.  There are a few tools specifically made for remote creation of VSMs.  

Another alternative I have used is a shared spreadsheet and breakout rooms for people to collaborate on portions of the map.  Or using a drawing tool with sticky-note capabilities and shared edits.

IMHO none of these are adequate replacements for being in the room in front of a map on a wall.  Given current times, consider the challenges of doing the VSM remotely and try to mitigate them.

Good luck, and best regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer