Complete Sub Task does not move the parent to Done on the Active Sprint screen.

Roger Porter November 8, 2017

I have a task with a sub task, I moved the sub task to done and it prompt me to move the parent so I said yes because there was only one sub task. It has moved the sub task but is leaving the parent in the to do column. I have attached a screen shot.

Thanks,

Rogerscreen.png

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2017

Is there a transition between the parent task's status and a status in the "done" column?

Roger Porter November 9, 2017

Thank you for your reply. Sorry but I am new to Jira, what do you mean by transition?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2017

A board is a view of a set of issues in one or more projects.

An issue follows a workflow, which should be a map of your desired process for dealing with the issue.  A workflow is (over-simplification here) a collection of status with transitions between them.  For example, to do, in progress and done are status (you can look at an issue and describe its position in the workflow with its status - "xyz-123 is in progress").  For that workflow, you'd probably find transitions like "start progress" which would move the issue from "to do" to "in progress".  There's likely to be transitions like "complete" and "re-open" in it too.

A board is a set of columns.  A column is a collection of status.  The most simple boards just follow the workflow, so you have one column per status.

Moving an issue from one column to another is a transition in the workflow.  So, if you don't have a transition for <somewhere> to <somewhere else> in your workflow, the board can't do it.  Because there's nothing there to do.

0 votes
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 8, 2017

@Roger Porter, It looks like the the issue has been moved to done and resolved.  The blue bar appears to just be an identifier for the parent issue not an actual card on the board that is assigned to a specific column.

.pd

Suggest an answer