Collation warning after update from 7.3.6 to 7.4.4

Michael Kaz September 5, 2017

Server installation of 7.3.6 updated to 7.4.4

After the udpate this warning came up:

Your database is using an unsupported collation
Your mssql database is currently using an unsupported collation: Latin1_General_CI_AI. You should change this to a supported collation: - SQL_Latin1_General_CI_AI

As this never came up before and I was pretty sure that I had configured the database correctly, I checked your installation online doc again:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/connecting-jira-applications-to-sql-server-2012-802592195.html

• Collation type must be case-insensitive. We support 'SQL_Latin1_General_CP437_CI_AI' and 'Latin1_General_CI_AI' as case-insensitive, accent-insensitive, and language neutral collation types. If your SQL Server installation's collation type settings have not been changed from their defaults, check the collation type settings.

This created more confusion. The database is using 'Latin1_General_CI_AI' and Jira, during startup, recognized this correctly but still complains.

Which is the correct collation that should be configured:
'Latin1_General_CI_AI'  as per the installation doc
OR
'SQL_Latin1_General_CI_AI' as per the warning statement?

In the meantime I have clicked the 'continue anyway' button and Jira came up.
I don't want to use a wrong collation though.

Please advise how to proceed.

It also seems that you need to correct either the document or the startup check.

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 6, 2017

Hi Michael,

You're running into an old bug that you can find at JRASERVER-59378.  You're fine at this point and the workaround is pretty much proceed as normal and ignore the message. 

Please vote on the issue to add impact and once a fix is determined and announced you'll be notified directly.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer