It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Cloud: Select List Doesn't Have Default

I've seen many posts about getting a custom Select List (single choice) field to have a default instead of "None". They all say that you need to make it a required field (except for one that said I need a plugin -- for the moment, let's set plugins aside). 

I'm running cloud. I've created a custom field "Attorney/Client Priv" as a Select List (single choice) with values "Yes" and "No". I created everything for this project from scratch with all the various components having "legal" as the first word of their name so you can believe me when I say that the config for this custom field is "required" AND I'm using that config. 

I know it's required because of the config AND because it has the red asterisk next to it AND because it won't let me create the issue without selecting either Yes or No. 

And yet, it STILL offers me "None" as the default option. I want "Yes". 

I tried adding a postfunction to bang it to Yes but that didn't work (I have a dim recollection that you can't use a postfunction to set a default on a create screen on Server Jira so this was grasping at straws). 

Can anyone tell me how to get a "Select List (single choice)" custom field like this to have the default value I want in Cloud Jira without a plugin? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Community Leader Feb 27, 2020

I’m not where I can test and give precise input but if you go to Jira settings > issues > custom fields and find your field the click on the ellipses you should be able to configure and set the default. 

Nailed it in one. 

To be slightly more explicit, under the epllipses menu is has an option "Contexts and default value" and on that page you can select from the "Default Value" line "Edit default Value" .

But Jack, answer, for being off the top of his head, was excellent. 

Thanks so much!
Dave

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Metrics Fun: 2019 in Review

Hello, Atlassian Community!  I thought it would be fun to do something different for my teams' last retrospective of 2019 so I'm planning to do a "year in review" with info-graphics.  Wha...

1,867 views 10 14
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you