• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Closing issues Edited

I might be overthinking this.

Imagine that I create an issue and we have a discussion about implementation.

We then decide that we do not need to do anything and the issue can be closed.

What is the best way forward here? Marking it as Done seems wrong. Deleting it means losing the discussion. How can we close it as "suspended" or "not implementing" or similar?

This is my workflow (default):

Workflow.jpg

It is not clear!

I also don't like the fact that it sorts the items A - Z. I want The order there is correct but when I have an issue on screen and go to change the status In Review shows before In Translation.

4 answers

1 vote
Hana Kučerová Community Leader Jan 27, 2021

Hi @ChuckieAJ ,

in this case it make sense to me to close the issue, but with different resolution.

1 vote

Hello @ChuckieAJ ,

You can add a resolution while closing the ticket.

Please check the link for more info on "Resolutions" --> https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/best-practices-on-using-the-resolution-field-968660796.html 

Thank you. Sounds like what I want. But when I have the issue open on screen I see no way of closing it?

1 vote
John Funk Community Leader Jan 27, 2021

Hi @ChuckieAJ  - we actually add a couple of different statuses to our workflows for this scenario. One is Discarded for when we decide not to do the work before we even start it. Another is Aborted where we decide not to finish the work already started. 

Both statuses have a Done status category to them. We set the Resolution as Obsolete using a Post Function on the transitions to each of those statuses. 

But can you please show me a screen shot of how you set these extra status up etc.? And I assume you have statuses for a normal issue that is closed.

John Funk Community Leader Jan 28, 2021

Sure - this is a very basic one, but you will get the idea. 

This on doesn't have Abandon in it, but it would work the same way as Aborted. 

With Abandon, I also have an Automation Rule that clones the issue and places it in the backlog. But you could make the Abandon status just a To Do category and not Done category. Then place the Abandon status in the backlog column in the board.

screenshot.png

0 votes
Jack Community Leader Jan 27, 2021

Were you using Classic projects I would say to use the Resolution for this. It appears you are using NG in which case you don't (yet) have Resolutions (JSWCLOUD-17499). You could create a drop down custom field in NG and select your resolution. As I recall there are challenges with multiple 'done category' statuses in NG but it has been a few weeks since I looked at this. There might be a better way but I don't use NG so can't say for sure.

I am using NG. It would be nice if there was a FAQ for this. Else I will just delete this particular issue. 

Jack Community Leader Jan 27, 2021

Not sure what you mean by FAQ. You might search the documentation as NG is changing rapidly. I would not recommend deleting these issues. IMO, having the history of issues you decided not to do and why is valuable. I think marking them as done is fine TBH as being "done" doesn't necessarily mean "fixed" or "implemented" but rather the issue is deemed to be address which "won't do decision" certainly falls under. However, a drop down field would allow you to create metrics which is nice.

Like ChuckieAJ likes this

I'll just mark it as done, with no release details, I don't see the point in adding a custom field when that is what Resolution sounds like it is for.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Announcing the waitlist for Jira Work Management

Hey there Cloud Community members! We’re excited to give you the first glimpse of the new home for business teams on Jira — Jira Work Management. Jira Work Management is the next generation of J...

858 views 14 20
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you